cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring to Thecus NAS 1U4600... NOT!!

Bob_A
Level 2

My company has been using BE 10d for years and have had no problems backing up and restoring to various NAS units... that is, until now.  We purchased a Thecus 1U4600 and I can backup from shared folders with no problems at all.  The issue seems to be in restoring the files to the shared folders.

In the job completion status, I get the error code 0xe00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed. 

What is interesting is that I can browse the directories of the NAS from Backup Exec when I am setting up the restore job.  Can anyone give me a hand here?

TIA,

Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Bob,

First thing would be to check out the BE 10d HCL and make sure your device is supported.

The link is below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH46109

If you check it, there are no NAS devices that show up as being supported. The reason you can browse the NAS is probably due to it being seen as a "server" of sorts, which it technically is.

However, I do know that later versions of BE required the NAS to either be running, or emulating Windows. If it couldn't do that, you could never restore to it. Backup from it, yes, via the RAWS agent, but not restore.

This explains why you are unable to restore to it.

I have the same issue with our Iomega ix-series we have...so we use Veeam instead to back up VMs to it!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi Bob,

First thing would be to check out the BE 10d HCL and make sure your device is supported.

The link is below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH46109

If you check it, there are no NAS devices that show up as being supported. The reason you can browse the NAS is probably due to it being seen as a "server" of sorts, which it technically is.

However, I do know that later versions of BE required the NAS to either be running, or emulating Windows. If it couldn't do that, you could never restore to it. Backup from it, yes, via the RAWS agent, but not restore.

This explains why you are unable to restore to it.

I have the same issue with our Iomega ix-series we have...so we use Veeam instead to back up VMs to it!

Thanks!

Bob_A
Level 2

Thanks for your response CraigV!

Yeah, I know that I'm on the bleeding edge with this version of BE, but this NAS emulates Windows via SAMBA / CIFS (native mode) and uses ADS for security.  I thought it would be at least as compatible as my ReadyNAS which works just fine for backup/restore.

I noticed that this Thecus server has a switch for SAMBA (Native mode or Compatible mode).  I wonder what this does...

Bob

CraigV

...I'd be lying to you on that. Best bet is to check the manufacturer's documentation on what that switch does...

Bob_A
Level 2

As I guessed, not much on what turning off native mode will do.  I just love my job some days. :)