cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robotic Library and Tape Usage Question?

Keith_Smith_2
Level 2
I am using a 30 tape robotic library. Right now I am only putting two tapes in the library at a time (two for full backups, and two for incrementals). I want to know how I can fill the library with tapes but not have backup exec use a new tape every time it starts a job? I have the media sets overwrite protection set for the following. Full - Overwrite protection and No append, Incremental - No Overwrite and two week append. I have two different backup sets. One is for Data and one is for Exchange. The fulls run once a week to B2D and then a duplicate runs to write to tape. This is repeated for Incrementals except incrementals append to the same tape.

Thanks for any help or pointing me in the right direction.

Keith
1 REPLY 1

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
To keep overwriting the same two tapes, you'll need a short overwrite protection period (to prevent your tape being overwrite protected when the backup runs), and the Overwrite Protection Level set to "Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media". Make sure your backup jobs target the correct media set.
Have a look at information about media sets, and how Backup Exec selects media.