cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotation: append period

Ken_Rinehart
Level 3
I've read the technotes for the Overwrite and Append periods. I'm in the process of doing a basic GFS rotation. My daily tapes will have an OPP of 6 days. What would the Append period be set to? Weekly would be set to 27 days and the append period? I assume that most people overwrite the previous daily backup and don't append to the tape? I guess if you have the space to append it would be nice.

Ken-
1 REPLY 1

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Append period will be 1 in both cases. However if the media becomes full before the backups are completed, then you will be required to provide Overwritable Media.

Logic: Append period will be 1 as it starts after the OPP. When the OPP ends you will be using the media the very next day for backup. Hence if the append period is 1 then it will append to that media.

However you will also need to keep in mind the duration of the job and then set the OPP and AP accordingly.

If you have any further queries, do revert.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.