cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running multiple jobs based on different policies simultaneously

CoolPix
Level 3
Hi,

I'm still planning our backup strategy. After deep studying I think that I must have at least four different types of backup jobs and each type of these jobs are directed by a corresponding policy. All of the policies will first back up to disk folders and then the jobs are duplicated to tape. All jobs use the same media set for the D2D jobs (infinite append/27 day OPP). Also the D2T duplicate jobs are using a dedicated media set with longer overwrite protection (infinite append/55 day OPP) than the D2D jobs. Once a week there will be a separate full offsite backup for all servers.

Policy 1) Three file servers with AOFO (full backup every night)
Policy 2) Two servers with SQL Agent (full backup every night)
Policy 3) 11 file servers with Remote Agent For Windows Servers (full backup every night)
Policy 4) 5 servers (full backup once a week and differential backup between the full backups)

My question is about if I can schedule all of these policies to start simultaneously, eg. 10.00 PM . And if two or more D2D jobs will complete at the same time, will the D2T portions of the jobs be queued so that they all will complete without any user intervention?
1 REPLY 1

brehms
Level 3
It's not recommended.
I was starting 7 jobs at once at 6pm, and ran into problems with the Backup Exec engine randomly failing.

Upon calling tech support, I was told to stagger my backup times.
So now they're staggered by 5 minutes ea, and I have yet to run into that problem again.