cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runtime error for first install of Backup Exec 12 for Small Business Server

drummerjoe
Not applicable
This is a first time install of Backup Exec 12 on a brand new Small Business Server 2003. When running the stand-alone environment check or when running the installation (which runs the environment check as its first step) I get the error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

When running the standalone check it refers to VxValidate.exe. When running the setup the error refers to setup.exe.

I ended up downloading the VxValidate program from the Symantec website and it completed successfully. I then tried the install again, hoping it cleared the need for the check, but it still tries, fails, and the install terminates. 

Is there any way to tell the setup to bypass the environment check?
1 REPLY 1

James_Poole
Level 3
The silent install (using command line parameters) will allow you to bypass the environment check.  You need to run setup.exe with the correct command line though and "-S" to make it silent. (try /? to get the switch names)

The other thing you can try is copying the entire install CD to your desktop.  Navigate down into it and delete the  vxvalidator32 adn vxvalidator64 folders.  Then run the install off of this media.  The environment check will error out because it isn't there but the install should be fine.