cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS 9.1 on SBS2003 Standard Agent stopping

Aaron_Fisher
Level 2
We have a client that is running 9.1 SBS SP1 SBS2003 Exchange 2003 SP1 HP Ultrium 100/200 LTO tape drive. Error messages in the event viewer are logged

Faulting application beremote.exe, version 9.1.4691.14, faulting module bedsshadow.dll, version 9.1.4691.14, fault address 0x00039be5

Have been instructed by veritas
There seems to be some inconsistency in the Backup Exec database, hence we suggest you to dump this database and reload from base.
As a preliminary step we suggest you to update MDAC. You can get the latest MDAC from the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/data
If this does not help, we suggest you to dump the Backup Exec database and reload it from base.
Follow the steps below:
1) Open BEUTILITY (C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT)
2) Add the Media server by Right clicking on "All Media Servers" and choose "Add Media Server"
3) Right click on the media server and stop the services
4) In BEUTILITY Right click on the media server name and choose "Recover Database"
5) Select Drop Database and reload from Base
6) Reboot Server
Note: All media sets, backup-2-disk folder, and other settings will have to be created or configured again, if the option Drop existing database and reload from base is selected.
If the issue persists, get back to us with the updates on the issue.
==========================================================================
Regards,
Vmail Support Team
VERITAS Technical Services

Have tried these steps and i am still having a problem. When i open up the backup exec i see all the services are stopped. Is there anything short of reinstalling the application that might fix the problem. The reason SP1 was applied intially as there was a bug simialar to what is described that it was supposed to fix and it doesnt seem to have done that.
8 REPLIES 8

Aaron_Fisher
Level 2
bump

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

-Make sure that Backup Exec service account is a member of local as well as domain administrators group. Remove this account from backup operators group.

- Create a fresh job definition to backup the local server and check the results.

- Type "Netstat -a " at the command prompt and verify that Port 10000 which is being used by Backup Exec remote agent is free and it is not used by any application.

If this Port is blocked by some application remote agent may not initialize correctly producing the same error.

The following technotes will be useful for more information:

URL - http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255498.htm

Hope this helps.

Aaron_Fisher
Level 2
Just ran a manual start of the schedualed job and the agent was running but has now crashed. Changed all services to be using the local system account, some were using administrator. Checked the server to make sure nothing else was listening on port 10000 the closest to that was 10500.

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

All the backup exec services should not be using local system account to run.

We suggest you to create a new backup exec service account,

1.Create a new user and make him member of Local administrator group and also the Domain administrator group.

2.Follow the technote to change the backup exec service account in the backup exec,
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254246.htm

3.Make sure that all backup exec services are then restarted.

4.Make sure that all backup exec services are running under the credentials of new user account created except for Remote agent which runs under local system account.

5.Perform a local backup job and check the results.

Hope this helps.

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
Assuming the solution provided is correct. Also, there is no response from the customer within 2 days from the last reply by Veritas

Level 2
I have a very similar issue with a client of mine. They were running Backup Exec 9.1 SP2 and after backing up anywhere between 8-16 Gig of data the beremote.exe service would crash, I uninstalled backup exec 9.1 completely and reinstalled without applying any service packs. I still have the same problem and get this in the Event Viewer (Faulting application beremote.exe, version 9.1.4691.0, faulting module msvcrt.dll, version 7.0.3790.0, fault address 0x00036abd). The Backup Exec service account is a member of both the local and domain admin group. I have recreated the job many times and nothing else is using Port 10000. The administator account is the account for all services except the Remote Agent which uses the local system account.

I am running SBS2003 advanced with a HP LTO Ultrium-2 Tape drive and am at the stage of pulling my hair out.

Any help would be much appreciated.

ORI_NET
Level 2
Partner
We are still seeing this issue with our clients. I think it is happening when the tape gets full and the system is waiting for a new tape. We use the automatice job cancellation feature so when it hits that time limit the services crashes. Just a guess??

Level 2
Thanks for the reply. I spent alot of time trying to resolve this issue and finally found a post that said that it was a daylight savings problem. I found this very hard to believe that such new software could have such a basic problem but indeed after turning off 'Automatically adjust clock for daylight savings' in the Time Zone tab of the clock on the server the backups start to work perfectly. An embarrasing problem for Veritas if you ask me. I have been using Veritas backup software for over 7 years now and was very disappointed to have wasted so much of my time on something so basic. What annoyed me the most is that it is a problem that Veritas are aware of but there has been nothing posted on their web site.