cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS Edition AOFO problems

Leif_Gustafson
Level 2
Hi,
When using the SBS edition of BE 10, I want to use the AOFO option. One is allowed to check AOFO in the SBS edition, but is limited to using the Microsoft VSS service. I want to do a full daily backup of the server. However, it seems that the AOFO option using VSS gives errors on various SQL databases that are used on the server, errors such as "Unable to initialize SnapShot handle". I don't get these errors if I turn off AOFO but then files get skipped or are reported as corrupted if they are open during the backup. Ideally, I would just use AOFO on my network shared folder, but there is no option for this without running multiple jobs. I would be willing to do multiple jobs in a night, but unfortunately there seems to be no way to chain jobs that use different selection lists. I realize I could schedule the jobs at different times, but it never completely eliminates the possibilty of overlap. What are other SBS users doing?
3 REPLIES 3

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

SQL database should be ideally backed up using the SQL agent. AOFO license is not meant for database backups of SQL. In fact it is not advised to use aofo option to backup SQL database.For more information please refer to the following technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/263784

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Leif_Gustafson
Level 2
I appreciate your prompt reply.
This being said, how would you recommend I do daily full backup of an SBS server?
The only way I can think of doing it without lots of errors in the log file would be to run two separate jobs in a night.
Job 1) Turn off AOFO and do a backup of SQL, Exchange, the system partition, and anything else not shared. Could I use the OFO option to back up open files with a lock (this would get some of the windows system files that are in use)?
Job 2) Turn on AOFO and do a backup of publicly accessible folders.

In my mind, this is the only way to reliably get a full nightly backup of SBS without errors in the log about corrupt data or SnapShot handle errors.

Would you agree with this, or is there another easier way?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Yes you can follow the backup plan that you have worked out. AOFO will backup open files. Are you also taking snapshot backups?

Refer to the following technote.

A Backup of Exchange 2000/2003 on a Windows 2000 server completes with exceptions, or backups of Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 SBS server fail with snapshot errors.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275409

In case you encounter any problem, revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.