cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR indicator and SCC selection

Artegic
Level 6

For the self backup of my Backup Exec 2012 SP4 media server, configured with a deduplication storage area for backing up a couple of other servers, the Backup Selection dialog offers these items:

• C: (system volume)
  • G: (data volume containing the deduplication storage)
  • Microsoft SQL Server Instances
  • Shadow Copy Components
  • System State

I wanted to omit the "G:" and "Shadow Copy Components" items from the backup because everything that is backed up to the deduplication storage is immediately duplicated to a tape library anyway. However when I selected only "C:", "Microsoft SQL Server Instances" and "System State", the "Simplified Disaster Recovery" indicator stayed off.

The solution was to select the entire server and then exclude the "G:" and "Shadow Copy Components" items. Although identical concerning the scope of what is going to be backed up, it obviously makes a difference to the algorithm deciding whether all critical components are included.

Hope it helps someone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

EDITED: as I noticed you had already worked out the solution changing my answer to explain why

If you deselect the whole server then the auto backup of new resources added to the server later will be disabled. If by some chance a new resource also became required for SDR then the lack of auto backup of the new resource would disable SDR without you knowing. As such we made a decision that the auto-detection (by selecting whole server) was a requirement for SDR. As you discovered you can deliberately exclude (deselect) a resource that is not needed instead of doing an include of only resources you need.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

EDITED: as I noticed you had already worked out the solution changing my answer to explain why

If you deselect the whole server then the auto backup of new resources added to the server later will be disabled. If by some chance a new resource also became required for SDR then the lack of auto backup of the new resource would disable SDR without you knowing. As such we made a decision that the auto-detection (by selecting whole server) was a requirement for SDR. As you discovered you can deliberately exclude (deselect) a resource that is not needed instead of doing an include of only resources you need.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can see the difference between selecting the entire server and selecting individual drives by doing your selection from the graphical screen and then clicking on the View Details tab which will show the selection text that is generated.