cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR indicator goes OFF

gbrovkov
Level 2

Hello. I'm trying to make SDR backup of my 2008R2 file server. The server has 2 hard drives, C: (System) and D:(DATA, shared folders). If I de-select any of the folders on the disk D: the 'Simplified Disaster Recovery' indicator goes 'OFF'. Сan I create Disaster Recovery disk without selecting ALL folders on disk D? I have Backup Exec 2012 SP4. Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

...the blog below should help you, but that behaviour is expected:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/exclude-files-simplified-disaster-recovery-sdr-backup-...

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

if you debug beremote on the server that believes the D: drive is critical to SDR, then restart the beremote service and atttempt to make a backup selection, then the debug will capture something similar to

[4568] 2014-11-28T10:03:23.125                      - Critical System Service:'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vcdrom' - Start Type:'1' - Volume Path:'\??\H:\Software\Utils\MountCD\VCdRom.sys' in 'CCriticalResource::DetermineCriticalServices:2091'

Note this debug log actually came from my BE2012 test server where my H: drive was turning off the SDR light, analyzing the log showed my that I had started a driver from the H: drive that was the cause.

Bear in mind there will be a lot of debug lines like this (even multiple lines for the same volume if there is more than one critical reason on the volume) the affecting lines are all listed in 4 sections (which can be used to start your analysis) called:

Identifying Critical System Volume

Identifying Critical Boot Volume

Identifying Critical System Services

Identifying Critical VSS System Services

This info should, help you indentify why your D: drive is being reported as critical to SDR.

gbrovkov
Level 2

Thank You! I've created the string registry key on file server [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Simplified System Protection\User-Defined Exclusion Resources\D:], then restarted be-agent service on the file server and backup exec services on BackupExec server. But whitout success. I still cannot exclude any folders on the disk (D:). SDR indicator still goes OFF.

Debug produces a lot of output, but I can't find any information about critical system components on disk D:

CraigV

Cool, well done!

Thanks!

gbrovkov
Level 2

Solved. I made mistake when creating the registry key.

Here is the link to symantec article:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH223963

Thanks to all-)