cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR on Backup-Site

CAldenkirchs
Level 2

Hi Folks,

we have two DataCenters, one for production, one Backupdatacenter (BDC).

In Both Datacenters there is a Backup-Exec-15-Server (BE1, BE2)

I successfully tested an SDR from one Server at the MainDataCenter. That was quiet simple.

Than i exported all Backups of that machine on Tape, got them Tapes to the BDC, catalogeud them on the BE2, copied the .DR-Files from BE1 to BE2 and tried a SDR in the BDC.

But when booting from SDR-DVD and connection to BE2, it didn't find any Server to restore.

However, from Backup-Exec itself i am able to restore single Files from the imported Tapes.

Is there a way to replicated the backed up Servers to another BE-Server so i can do an SDR at my Backupdatacenter?

Thank you for suggestions and help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you want to do a SDR restore from tape, you need a valid .dr file to point to the backup set.  When you duplicate to tape, the .dr file is not updated, hence your problem.

If you want to use tape, backup directly to tape.

Otherwise, backup to a USB disk and then bring the USB disk over to the DR site.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

The only way to do this is via optimized duplication. You'd backup to a dedupe folder on the local media server before duplicating to another media server which has a dedupe folder. read below:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO99119

If you are talking about replicating VMs between servers like Veeam can, then the answer is no...BE cannot do so.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you want to do a SDR restore from tape, you need a valid .dr file to point to the backup set.  When you duplicate to tape, the .dr file is not updated, hence your problem.

If you want to use tape, backup directly to tape.

Otherwise, backup to a USB disk and then bring the USB disk over to the DR site.

CAldenkirchs
Level 2

Hi pkh,

thank's for your answer.

We have backed up directly to tape. But now the Tapes are in a different Library and it's a different server, from wich we want to Recover.
How can I get this information into the .DR-Files?
Or how can i get this other server to know about those .DR-Files wich we had copied to it?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you do the backup to tape, the corresponding .dr file will be suited in the SDR directory on the media server. You need to either update the SDR ISO to incorporate these .dr files or copy these files to a thumbdrive. When you do your SDR restore, you would be prompted for the .dr files. Choose the ones that you want and go from there. You should read the SDR chapter in the Admin Guide and view the SDR video in the Video section