Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR restore different hardware

JeromeB60
Level 2

Hello,

backup exec 2016.

I got a server A (sdr from a poweredge R510 windows 2003 r2) and a server B (poweredge 2950 windows 2003 r2)

The goal is to restore the server A on a B server that we got in spare.

So i created the SDR and tick when creation server A and server to add both server driver in my SDR.

I boot on the iso on the spare server (Poweredge 2950), restore works fine.

Problem is now, when i start the server, it goes to the windows server 2003 loading thing, but then reboot and do that and auto reboot continually.

Do you have any idea whats wrong ?

I have tried several thing, but it looks like i am missing the right driver for the storage ... Perc 6/i

thank you for your help.

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Once you restore the system state all of the drives etc for the old hardware (Motherboard chipsets/disk controller drivers etc) may try to start when the hardware the driver is looking for is no longer there.  BE does try to disable some older drivers in the process but in some situations can't identify them all (it is potentially an infinite list of hardware that could change) and this can cause a hang or crash/reboot conditions.

Note: I am not sure we can handle CPU vendor changes so I hope you servers have not changed from Intel to AMD or vice-versa.

On top of that you may need new drivers for the hardware that is now present as well

Typically when this happens you have to boot into safe mode (after restoring the drives and system state) and then remove problem drivers and then apply new driver packages.

The same thing (or something similar) would happen if you took the boot / system disk out of the old server and installed it directly in the new server (if you could and assuming RAID setup is not in the disks being moved.)

Hello,

We have tried to boot into safe mode, but it doesn't launch and cause the server to crash again and reboot.

We are no switching CPU at all.

We have booted with dart 5 and aren't able to see the drive ( dart 5 support windows 2003).

But when we boot on dart 8, we are able to see the drive, but cannot add or remove any driver.

Any idea ?