cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Delivery Status Notification Failure

John_Bodin_2
Level 3
Hello,
Using Backup Exec 9.x and 9.x for SBS, I do a full backup for clients. Besides the drives, I check off the Exchange Mailboxes. Many nights, the backup fails with multiple error messages about "SMTP (CustomerServerName-hex number) TempTable1 Delivery Status Notification Failure". All the data seems to back up along with the mailboxes, but I get many of these errors and the job shows failed (which the customer panics). So, I found if I expand the Mailboxes section in Backup Exec, that SMTP (ServerName).... is there along with all the mailboxes. My question is, if I do not back that up (uncheck it), will A) the error messages go away and B) what are the ramifications if I should have to do a full restore? I recently had to do full restore of an entire SBS2000 box from scratch and everything came back fine. What I am wondering is if I do not check this SMTP box off, will I be able to do a barebones restore of Exchange 2000 whether it is part of SBS or not. I used your article number 243037 and it worked like a charm (had to do it twice, but we will not go into it here :)

Thanks a lot.

John
2 REPLIES 2

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
John

Not backing up the SMTP mailbox is fine. The email in this mailbox is dynamic and there would be no reason to restore it at any time in the future.

You may want to also uncheck the System Attendant mailbox - again this mailbox is dynamic and is not needed to be restored.

Hope that helps.

John_Bodin_2
Level 3
OK. Very good. Will make adjustments.

John