cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP Monitoring of Backup Exec 2012 Jobs

booooza
Level 2

Hi guys

I would like to receive SNMP traps if Backup Exec jobs will fail.

Been following this guide and setup everything accordingly:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH65644

Unfortunately no SNMP traps are being sent out. Using Backup Exec 2012 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Regards

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73524

These are the traps you're looking for!

Thanks!

booooza
Level 2

Hi CraigV

Thanks for the fast reply. I have already configured traps on these OID's and have SNMP trap receivers configured as well. But I don't see any traps going out.

I have also configured the Backup Exec Alert Categories accordingly and marked the checkbox to send out SNMP notifications.

Thanks

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

When I need to do a quick test to verify BE is sending SNMP traps, I use an SNMP capture utility called SNMP Trap Watcher (from BTT as freeware http://www.bttsoftware.co.uk/snmptrap.html)

Basically on my media server I have made sure that the SNMP Trap Servcie is disabled, that the SNMP Service is started and that it is configured with a public trap destination of the IP address of the media server itself (which would usually need to be set to the IP address of the system running your SNMP tool) Note I restart the SNMP Service if I have changed the trap destination IP addresses

I have then started SNMP Trap Watcher on the media server

I then switched to the Backup Exec 2012 console and used the yellow BE button top left to select Configuration and Settings --> Alert Notifications --> Alert Categories

I then picked an alert of interest and made sure Send SNMP notification was enabled. I used the Job Start alert as a very easy one to test with.

When I did this just now and started a job - TrapWatcher did capture a Backup Exec job start message. As such BE 2012 is able to send SNMP alerts. Environmental note - I was using 2012 on Windows 2003 and I had no firewalls or other security software blocking SNMP traffic.

You might be able to use a similar test to confirm the SNMP operations of BE which might then leave the issue as something within your trap monitoring product

booooza
Level 2

Hi Colin

I've managed to receive SNMP traps in both SNMP Trap Watcher and the monitoring tool. The problem is that I'm having some problems to understand which is the right trap to monitor.

While monitoring for Successful Jobs I see the following Trap in the Trap Receiver:

Frame Length: 216 bytes
Community: public
OID: .1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.3.1.2.8
Address: 192.168.0.50
sysUpTime: 0 days, 02:04:54
Generic: 6 - Enterprise Specific
Specific: 3
OID: .1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.3.3.5
ASN1 Type: Octet String 0x04 (4)
Value: Backup Exec: Job Succeeded
OID: .1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.3.3.1
Value: Server-Backup
OID: .1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.3.3.3
Value: Server-Backup Backup 00125-Backup
OID: .1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.3.3.6
Value: Completed Successfully.

First of all I do not receive the OID stated on the following article which would be 1302.3.1.2.8.3 for Job Succeeded: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73524

Secondary I receive four different values of which none of them is meaningful if received alone. What I expect to see would be a similar message as in the alert email notification:

(Server: "Server") (Job: "Job") -- The job failed with the following error: The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

Regards

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Support don't typically get involved with how SNMP alerts are interpretted in other applications.

However are you aware that we have some MIB files in the installation CD.

Inside the BE 2012 ISO they are located in

\BE\WinNT\SNMP\ENG

Maybe these will help?