cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPPS option - error in application

Jason_Starkey
Level 3
I am currently running all Windows 2003 Servers, a SQL Server 2000 database server, and a Web Server running the Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server 2003 with WSS 2.0. 

My Backup Exec version is 11d, with the latest hotfixes and I have the SPPS option as well.  I have added a new login account to be used to backup the SharePoint Portal and all of its Sites and documents.  The user account has local admin rights to both the web server as well as the database server.

I select to create a new Backup Job, and I get the View by Resource tree to create a new backup selection list.  While scrolling down to select the SharePoint items to backup, I notice a yellow exclamation icon on my sharepoint portal webserver.

After checking the event logs on the server I notice this entry in the event viewer:

Source: BkupExec: Backup Exe
Category: None
EventID: 0
Description:
Error in the application.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I'm not sure what that means, but I have reinstalled the agents and rebooted the server and still get the same outcome...am I missing in extra step in getting the SPPS agent working properly so that I can backup SP?

Thanks!
Jason

4 REPLIES 4

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Jason,

The exclamation point indicates that the webserver is not advertising to the media server.

What server are you seeing this error on? 

What happens when you try to select the Sharepoint Server Farm?

Patty

Jason_Starkey
Level 3
The exclamation point that I'm getting the error on is the Web Server, and that is also where I'm seeing the event logged in the event viewer.  The database portion of the farm seems fine.

When I select the Server Farm I can see the following items in the list:

-Server Farm 1
  - Configuration DB (nothing in it)
  - (site)...this is the actual portal
      - Content DB (nothing in it)
      - Index DB 1 (nothing in it)
      - Services DB (nothing in it)
      - User Profile DB (nothing in it)
  - Single Sign-On

That is what I see in the selection list View By Resource tab.

Message Edited by Jason Starkey on 04-23-200709:54 AM

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Jason,

Is there a firewall between the servers?
The advertisements occur on port 6101.

Also if you run vxmon on the webserver is the configuration correct there?  You will want to ensure that it is advertising correctly. 

Also here is a best practice technote for protecting SPS:

Patty

Jason_Starkey
Level 3
Patty,

Thanks, I ran vxmon and it appeared that it was not enabled to publish to the media server.  I still note that all the listed resources from the previous post still say (none) when I select the items to backup.  I will be backing up everything anyways, but will I still be able to restore individual file if needed?  Or am I still encountering a possible configuration issue?

Thanks,
Jason