cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server master databse is not recovered.

Peter_Turvey_2
Level 3
I am currently having problems when I try to use IDR to restore my server.
I am using Windows 2003 Server with Service Pack 1.
I am using version 10.0.5520 of Backup Exec. and have the SQL Server Agent.

The Server has two MS SQL Server databases, one is the BKUPEXEC instance and the other is for an application we have developed.
When I installed the application's SQL Server database I stored the "master.mdf" database in a new folder, "D:\data".

I created the IDR bootable CD and also ran a Full Backup job which is stored on tape.
The Full Backup included the C: and D: partitions on my hard drive, the BKUP Exec SQL Server database, the application's database and the system state.
This backup job ran successfully and the "D:\data\master.mdf" file is definitely on the tape.

Then I attempted a disaster recovery using new disks. Everything seemed to go OK apart from the recovery of my application's SQL Server master database.
I ended up with absolutely nothing in the "D:\data" directory and as a result the SQL Server service for my application did not start up.

The BKUPEXEC database was fine.

Has anybody else come across this problem before ? Any advice as to what I should do about it ?
2 REPLIES 2

Peter_Turvey_2
Level 3
I've done a bit more investigation now and it seems that my Database files are NOT getting backed up to tape if the Service is running at the time of the backup. The only way I can get my .ldf and .mdf files onto the tape is if I shut down the service before I run the Backup job.

So it seems that Backup Exec is not able to back up my application's SQL Server database even though I have got the SQL Agent.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Peter

Does http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262171.htm help?`

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.