cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server not detected on a Clustered Instance

Joshua_Vautour
Not applicable
I have a 3 node cluster all running multiple instances of SQL Server. On one of the nodes I am able to see the instances of SQL through Backup Exec but not the other two nodes. From what I have seen in other posts about how it detects SQL Server is that it looks for the MSSQLSERVER service running. Well on the one node that it works on we had a accidental install of a default instance (which installs as MSSQLSERVER) and the rest were as normal named instances. The other two machines do have have this default instance on the named instances of SQL installed so there is no service called MSSQLSERVER only MSSQL$JOSH where JOSH is the named instance. It's not a matter of licenses because it works fine on all 12 other non clustered machines and the one cluster node with the default instance. I have tried reinstalling the Agent atleast twice on each of the nodes and only end up with the exact same result. I am able to communicate with the remote agent from the server and I can see the disks but I'm unable to see the SQL Server Instances.
1 REPLY 1

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

For the non clustered machines the licensing policy is diffrerent than for the clustered machines.

For the clustered machines you will have to have a SQL license for each node and will have to install the remote agent on each of the nodes.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.