cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL and MSDE

Level 2
All - When I try a fresh install of BEx 9.1, and select the option o use MSSQLSERVER, it always installs MSDE and uses that. The SQL is version is 2000 and SP 3A.

Any ideas... Thanks,
Brian Hammer
5 REPLIES 5

George_Minton
Level 3
I recently received new media under our support agreement for Backup Exec 9.1.4691.1(supports the DLO option) and installed it on my second media server. I already had an SQL 2000 installation on this server and it gave me the option to select the existing SQL 2000 server installation. I am not sure about 9.1.4691 which is different than the build mentioned above with .1 at the end. You may need to upgrade your cd used to install your media server.

Level 2
I thought that could be it so I downloaded the latesest build setup from Vweritas and tried it again. The funny thing is that you would expect to see the name of the SQL server sitting in the box instead of MSSQLSERVER listed. I don't think something is seeing the SQL but if you look at the setup log, it finds it just fine and verifies the permissions and so one..

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

Dipti_Chinchole
Level 6
The Backup Exec v9.x installation program installs Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) components required to run Backup Exec. Which creates an SQL instance named BKUPEXEC for Backup Exec.

Backup Exec 9.x can use existing instance of SQL 2000 server. Backup Exec prompts during installation to select existing SQL instance or it will install MSDE.

If SQL Server 2000 is already installed on the server, you are prompted to do one of the following:

---Install the required Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) components with Backup Exec and create a default Backup Exec instance.

---Select a SQL Server 2000 instance that already exists on which to run Backup Exec.

Note If you choose to install Backup Exec into an existing SQL 2000 instance, make sure that SQL 2000 service pack 3a or later is installed before you continue with the installation.

If it is desired to install Backup Exec MSDE instance then it will not conflict with existing SQL 2000.

Varsha
Level 6
Please update us on this issue.

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
No reply from user.