cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL service pack required

ramone
Level 3
Hi,
I need to upgrade the existing sql service pack on one of our web servers as it is currently running sp1. I have just read over this article and am unsure as to which is needed.

As far as I know Veritas Backup Exec carries out the installation of MSDE 2000 within the install.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/2000/sp3.asp

>In particular, you must know the original package name for your instance of MSDE 2000.

I know the instance name but am unsure of the package name or msi file it used to carry out the install.

Which one of these do I require?

Sql2ksp3.exe. Updates for database components.
Sql2kasp3.exe. Updates for Analysis Services components.
Sql2kdesksp3.exe. Updates for Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000).

The server is running 2000 and the version of SQL is Microsoft SQL Server Version 8.00.534 *

Thanks,
John
5 REPLIES 5

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Are you talking about SQL/MSDE on your backup server or on another server on the network?

If you have SQL installed on your media server when you install BEWS, the installer will make set itself up using a SQL database. However if there is no copy of SQL installed on the server it will automatically installed a copy of MSDE and use that instead.

Therefore if you have a copy of SQL installed on the server it would be the sql2ksp3.exe installer that you need to use on your system to bring it up to SP3.

While if you haven't installed Analysis Services on your server it won't be there, a lot of different applications make use of MSDE to store there data, so I would suggest it is also worth running sql2kdesksp3.exe just to be on the safe side. If there are any instances of MSDE on the system it will patch them, and if there are non it just won't do anything, but it won't hurt anything.

ramone
Level 3
HI Keith,
Yes we are running the default instance of MSDE which is implemented within the installation of Backup Exec. This instance of MSDE is on the actual server itself and not on a remote server.

Ill go ahead and run sql2kdesksp3 and see how it goes.

Cheers,
John

ramone
Level 3
I would still appreciate any additional comments towards this by other members if they have any.

John

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi John,

We apologise for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response. Please let us know if your issue / problem is resolved so that we can mark this case as ‘assumed answered’ and move it to ‘answered threads’ pool. However, if the issues still persist then refer to the steps mentioned below:

Ih you have installed BE in its own instance, Backup Exec automatically installs Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop
Engine (MSDE 2000) Service Pack 3a to the Backup Exec MSDE instance.

We also recommend you to upgrade to Backup Exec 9.1 which automatically installs Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) Service Pack 3a to the Backup Exec MSDE instance and is a free upgrade from Backup Exec 9.0.

Here is the link:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264658.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.