cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL 1016 Ultrium 460 & Backup Exec 10

Nuno_Barros
Level 2
Hi everybody,

I'm having serious problems with Backup Exec 10.0.

My backup unit is a HP StorageWorks SSL1016 Ultrium 460 Autoloader, connected to a HP Proliant DL 380 G4 server through an addicional SCSI controller with Windows 2003 Server (standard).

Yesterday I installed the backup unit and it was working just fine:
at the server's startup it detected the 2 devices (backup unit and autoloader), at Windows' device manager it showed the autoloader (changer) and the tape unit correctly.
Also, HP Library and Tape Tools detected correctly the 2 devices.

Backup Exec 10.0 was already installed at the server, and we deleted the old device that was configured (also a HP SSL1016 Ultrium 460). When we ran the device wizard, it only detected the backup unit, and nothing about the autoloader.

Some very strange details:
1) when trying to use Veritas' August/2005 driver, it showed a message saying that Backup Exec 10.0 should be installed to use that driver.
2) using Veritas' June/2005 driver worked fine for the backup unit (but didn't detect the autoloader)
3) in Device Manager, the autoloader (changer) disappeared
4) there was an advice that some hardware has been disconnected (just like when you disconnect a USB pen drive)

After this happened, during server's startup it doesn't recognize the autoloader unit any more. Also Windows doesn't recognize it.

We already made a firmware update to the backup unit, but the problem stays the same.

VERY IMPORTANT:
- this is the 3rd backup unit (all the same model) and we had the same problems with all of them, but we supposed that it was a hardware problem and HP took care of the problem by replacing them, but it happened always after trying to configure the backup unit with Backup Exec 10.0, so I have no doubts that the problems is caused by Backup Exec 10.0 software.

As you surelly understand I need help to solve this very serious problem.

Also I would like to say that I'm very dissapointed with Veritas phone and mail support.

Waiting for a reply, acept my best regards.

Nuno Barros
MHD
6 REPLIES 6

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

As even the OS cannot detect the device this is not a Backup Exec problem.
- Are there any related errors in event logs?
- Please power cycle the device and verify the results.
- Refer the following technote for additional information.
Title:
How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Nuno_Barros
Level 2
Hi Amruta Purandare,

Thanks for your reply, but I think you didn't understand correctly my question, when you say that "As even the OS cannot detect the device this is not a Backup Exec problem".

The main question here is that we have the third unit from HP with the same problem (Ok, untill here you could say it is a hardware problem), BUT, the problem of the changer not being recognized (either by the scsi bios startup or the OS) only happens after trying to setup the device with Veritas Backup Exec 10.0.

If I use the native backup from Windows 2003, I don't have any kind of problem with the unit (I did it for a week).

Only when I use the device setup wizard (in Backup Exec 10.0), with the June/2005 drivers (also from Veritas) the problem begins (and it happened with the three different units that HP sent us).

So, I don't consider it is a hardware problem, but as a SERIOUS PROBLEM caused either by Backup Exec 10.0 or Veritas drivers', as it already happened with 3 backup units, all same model (HP StorageWorks SSL 1016 Ultrium 460 Autoloader).

Waiting for your reply, please accept my best regards.

Nuno Barros

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

From the Hardware compatibility list check if your device is tested.

(title) Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers Robotic Library Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) (includes tested drives)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274348
(title) Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers Standalone Drives Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274347

If the device is compatible then install the OEM drivers

Thanks
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Nuno_Barros
Level 2
Hello,

In fact the device is listed as "tested", but the truth is that everytime we use "device setup wizard" it stops recognizing the changer unit and only recognizes the tape unit.

So, once again, I can only say that BACKUP EXEC 10.0 IS THE CAUSE OF THIS SERIOUS PROBLEM.

I'm tired of this situation, because we are having the same problem with the third HP StorageWorks SSL1016 Ultrium 460 unit, always after using the "device setup wizard" from Backup Exec 10.0, so IT IS NOT A HARDWARE PROBLEM !!!!!

I need Veritas to investigate and solve this situation.

Waiting for your reply, accept my best regards.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

You had earlier mentioned that .....the problem of the changer not being recognized (either by the scsi bios startup or the OS) only happens after trying to setup the device with Veritas Backup Exec 10.0...Are you indicating that the changer is not detected in the Windows device manager too? If not, do elaborate on it.

If you go to the devices tab in Backup exec, is the device detected there?
Stop the Removable storage service and check the results. Also look for any errors in the event logs in Windows. Ensure that the device,changer is not using SCSI id's 0 or 1 as they are meant to be for the bootable devices.

What release of backup exec are you using? In case you are not using 10.0 5520, install it from the following link:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/277181

You can then install the latest Veritas drivers from the link below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278408

Do update on the above.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Nuno-

You have reached the dreaded Veritas Tech Support Brick Wall. This is not to be confused with the similar Veritas Tech Support Stone Wall; whose symptoms are multiple web links of redundant and irrelevant information. The Tech Support Brick Wall is bad. Veritas has identified this to be a problem but has no financial interest in resolving the problem. - OK just having some fun!

What is the make/model of the SCSI adapter card you are using?

Because Veritas does not load drivers for the medium changer, only for tape drives, this is an unusual problem.

If the changer is not detected during the system boot (the SCSI card sends an Inquiry to all target addresses) it indicates the changer is dead or is not terminated correctly.
This is the immediate problem, and there is no troubleshooting that can take place until we can get the changer detected first by the SCSI controller, then by the OS, and maybe even Veritas. (do you remember if you selected used plug n play drivers?)

For troubleshooting purposes I would connect the autochanger to the DL380's onboard LVHD SCSI connector.
Veritas will not recommend this setup because this is the Smart Array Controller as well, but I'm not recommending this as a permanent solution- I'm only interested if the device gets detected during boot.