cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling limitations

GraemeS
Level 3

Can someone offer some Scheduling advice please...

Windows 2000 server running BKEXEC 9.1 Rev 4691
Old setup but fine for what it is doing.
There are 4 backup jobs.
1 backs up to tape on the first Saturday of the month. (we can ignore this one)

The other 3 are new and put in place to replace a complex set of multiple jobs.
Just struggling to work with the Scheduling options.
BACKUP1 - Backup to Disk Location 1
BACKUP2 - B2D Location2
BACKUP3 - B2D Location3
(Basically 3 different locations around the site)
No B2D on Saturday or Sunday.
I want to spread these backups out so that each night backs up to a different location in rotation..i.e...
Mon - Loc1
Tue - Loc2
Wed - Loc3
Thu - Loc1
Fri - Loc2
(following Mon) - Loc3
etc
This was all set up using the 'Week Days' part of the schedule and has run fine all month.
...but now it's the end of the month it trips us up.
Rather than listing the 5th Week, it lists the LAST week. (Understandable if you want to run a job on the last friday of the month but a pain here)
Since Monday 26th (yesterday) was both the 4th Monday and LAST Monday of the month, Backup Exec ran 2 jobs to two different locations as Backup Job 1 runs on the 4th Monday and Backup Job 2 runs on the LAST monday.

Can't see anything in the other schedule options that I could use in place of the WEEK DAYS page. I really just want a 5th Week line! :)
As a workaround I've just set the LAST WEEK line in the schedule to match the 4th WEEK line for each of the 3 Jobs. This appears to have stopped the doubling up. 
Just wondered if I was missing a trick?
Regards
Graeme
3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

These are B2D jobs which should require little attention.  Why don't you run the second Loc3 on Sat?  Then you don't have to worry about the week.

GraemeS
Level 3
That's certainly another possibility. I think that it is sometime difficult to get out of the 'tape changing' mindset.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Well in later versions of Backup Exec policies can be used with a rule so that if two jobs start at the same time, one supercedes the other which results in one job running and the other being queued for the next time it should run -  which would solve your problem - not available in 9.x though