cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling of IDR Files

SMF_LLC
Level 4

Good afernoon, Symantec.

Is it possible to schedule the IDR job that creates the Disaster Recovery Information (.dr) files? Also, do the IDR ISO's need to be updated on a regular basis? If so, is this schedulable, too?

Thanks all!

Josh Dunbar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The .dr files are automatically created by a backup job when a resource is successfully backed up.  There is no separate job to create the .dr files.

The process to create the IDR bootable ISO image cannot be scheduled.

When you create the IDR bootable ISO image, it will contain the latest .dr file which will point to the latest backup.  You are suppose to re-create the ISO image after each backup so that it contain the latest .dr file, but this is not practical.

If you re-create the IDR bootable ISO image using the same OS installation CD/DVD, the only thing that is different from the previous image is the .dr file.  All the rest is the same.   I only create my IDR ISO image when the OS installation CD/DVD changes.  For example, when I have upgraded my OS to a new SP and there is a new OS installtion CD/DVD with that particular SP.  I make sure that I keep my .dr files in a safe place so that I can point to them during IDR restore process.  See

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/intelligent-disaster-recovery-idr-restore

You can go to Tools ---> Options ---> IDR and set a secondary path for the .dr files so that they are written to two places.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The .dr files are automatically created by a backup job when a resource is successfully backed up.  There is no separate job to create the .dr files.

The process to create the IDR bootable ISO image cannot be scheduled.

When you create the IDR bootable ISO image, it will contain the latest .dr file which will point to the latest backup.  You are suppose to re-create the ISO image after each backup so that it contain the latest .dr file, but this is not practical.

If you re-create the IDR bootable ISO image using the same OS installation CD/DVD, the only thing that is different from the previous image is the .dr file.  All the rest is the same.   I only create my IDR ISO image when the OS installation CD/DVD changes.  For example, when I have upgraded my OS to a new SP and there is a new OS installtion CD/DVD with that particular SP.  I make sure that I keep my .dr files in a safe place so that I can point to them during IDR restore process.  See

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/intelligent-disaster-recovery-idr-restore

You can go to Tools ---> Options ---> IDR and set a secondary path for the .dr files so that they are written to two places.

SMF_LLC
Level 4

PKH,

Thank you for your response and tip about the secondary .DR file path. I went ahead and created a share on a different server for that. I appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Josh Dunbar