cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scratch Media not recognized by append jobs

Michael_Virzera
Level 3
Hi

I have a weekend job and sometimes this happens to my weekday jobs. I erase all of the tapes in my media partition that the jobs are scheduled to write to. Then on some occasions a job will start writing to one and then when it has to span to another tape it asks for insert overwritable media. I import the tape and it works fine. Sometimes I have had to import every single tape in the partition one at time to get it working. Any ideas? I thought the scratch media would be picked up? I have infinite allow append on my media sets?

Thanks
-Mike
5 REPLIES 5

Michael_Virzera
Level 3
Any ideas. It happened again to me today. I had there tapes. There first job I run is an overwrite job. Then the second job will hit this tape. But according to information that I got here should the following jobs grab the scratch media? Instead I have to run an import for ever tape following? I do not get it. What's the purpose of scratch media if it is not consistent?

Thanks for your time
-Mike

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Not quite sure what you are saying, but

An Append job will NOT accept a scratch tape, only one that already has an active backup set from the same media set on it.

It almost sounds like the second job is starting before the first finishes. How is the second job started? via policy or just scheduled later?

Michael_Virzera
Level 3
Sorry maybe I confused the issue a bit. I run an overwrite job this only writes to one tape in the partition leaving 4 others as scratch media. Then the other jobs will fire off and normally they are ok until that job runs out of space on the tape and tries span to another tape then I get the insert overwritable media. If a scratch tape is not appendable, then after erasing recycled tapes do I need to put them in there own appendable media set?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
That's why I said it sounds like the first job is not finishing before the second starts

1st job Overwrite - Grab a scratch volume and start writing.
2nd job Append - Look for an appendable volume in the target media set, then continue on that volume.

If the job fills the tape, grab a scratch and initialize, then finish the job

etc.

if you have multiple scratch volumes in a partition, they should be used in turn, subject to the preceeding

Michael_Virzera
Level 3
the first job finishes and the second one starts about an hour later then a few hours into the job tape fills and it gets queued. The problem is in the "grab a scratch and initialize" it. I have made the change to overwrite if no appendable media and padded the partition with a few extra tapes just in case it overflows. So I will see if that helps any.

Thanks