cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeding file server data from a remote site

leeraymarine
Level 3

From what i've read, it's possible to seed backup data from a remote site to a central location by backing the data up to disk or tape, shipping the device to the central location, backing up the data from the device to the dedupe store, and then running optimized dedupe backups between the remote and central site.

However, if the remote site does not have BE server + the deduplication option installed, and instead it just has a RAWS license, is there a way of seeding this data to the central site via a USB drive, or any other method?

Thanks in advance.

Lee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

That Wont be possible lee, you have to do the same process of running a duplicate to USB and then do a local duplicate setcopy to dedupe for the setup.

The only possible solution which you would like to have is running a opt dedupewich requires 2 media server with dedupe option enabled across 2 different site.

kind reards

Arul

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Hi Lee,

Optimised dedup is possible only between Media servers with deduplication option on both the ends, and seeding can be done via network or a duplicte to USB / tape and shiped to remote location.

But what yourasking :

However, if the remote site does not have BE server + the deduplication option installed, and instead it just has a RAWS license, is there a way of seeding this data to the central site via a USB drive, or any other method?

little bit confusing though.

But I guess your asking if we can have a non dedupe backup to usb, to be shiped and duplicate to dedupe device? , yes it is possible.

let me know if that asnwer your question.

leeraymarine
Level 3

"But I guess your asking if we can have a non dedupe backup to usb, to be shiped and duplicate to dedupe device? , yes it is possible."

Correct - but then will the subsequent backups of the data from the remote site be deduplicated before going across the WAN to the central site? That's really what I want to avoid. In some of the locations we have, a full off-site backup would take weeks due to poor bandwidth, and in some cases even months to complete, so we really need to be able to create a seed copy, so we can just backup the changed blocks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you are doing server-side dedup, then the actual data would flow across the WAN link before they are dedup'ed. Fro client-side dedup then, the date are dedup'ed before they are sent over the link. Note that the amount of data flowing across the WAN link would be more than that for optimized dedup

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

That Wont be possible lee, you have to do the same process of running a duplicate to USB and then do a local duplicate setcopy to dedupe for the setup.

The only possible solution which you would like to have is running a opt dedupewich requires 2 media server with dedupe option enabled across 2 different site.

kind reards

Arul

leeraymarine
Level 3

Ok, that was my thoughts, but wanted to confirm. Many thanks for your help.