cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selection list missing servers

Ailbe
Level 2
Hi

I'm new to administering Backup Exec.  I have quite a bit of experience administering NetBackup, but never to the depth that I am doing it now, basically I was one of many admins before with limited responsibilities and now I am 1 of 1 backup administrators responsible for the whole enchilada.  While this is cool, it is daunting at time :)

The problem right now is this.  I have a new policy, using 2 templates, weekly full and daily incremental, and two selection lists, one for the databases and one for standard file backups including system state and shadow copy components.  I can not see 2 of my servers in the All Resources - Domains - Microsoft Windows Network - DOMAIN NAME list.  Both of these servers that are missing do have the correct version of the Remote Agent installed, and credentials are a domain backup account, the same one used for the other 3 that do show up in the list. 

What I have found out is that I CAN see those two servers in All Resources - Favorite Resources - Windows Systems, and I can access them, using the domain backup account...

I have no idea how these got into the Favorite Resources list (by the way, all the other servers also show up there.  My question is, how do I get them to show back up in the Domains - Microsoft Windows Network - DOMAIN NAME list? 

It isn't critical, but I'd like them all to show up in the same place.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Backup Exec Remote Agent advertisement is responsible for servers being shown in Favourite resources. So, because you have remote agent installed on those machines and media server's name is registered with them, you would see those servers under favourite resources. Regarding those servers not being visible under domains, Backup Exec does not have anything to do with that. We do the discovery of resources based on whatever Media server networking services show us. A simple comparison would be to go to "My network places" and windows network and try browsing through the domain. Whatever you see there would be seen under backup exec selections. Generally rebooting those servers may help, as networking services of media server would find those servers again.

This however will have no impact to your backups. You can perform backups through favourite resources without any issues.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Backup Exec Remote Agent advertisement is responsible for servers being shown in Favourite resources. So, because you have remote agent installed on those machines and media server's name is registered with them, you would see those servers under favourite resources. Regarding those servers not being visible under domains, Backup Exec does not have anything to do with that. We do the discovery of resources based on whatever Media server networking services show us. A simple comparison would be to go to "My network places" and windows network and try browsing through the domain. Whatever you see there would be seen under backup exec selections. Generally rebooting those servers may help, as networking services of media server would find those servers again.

This however will have no impact to your backups. You can perform backups through favourite resources without any issues.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

the remote agent server publishes the server name to the media server because of which you see the server in favourite resources. Its not an issue with backup exec as when you would open the network connection the your computer. you would not find the server showing up there as well ...