cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selections only go back one month

Linwood_Wright
Level 4
When I'm creating a selection list for a restore job, I can only see the last 30 days worth of backups. This started happening within the last month, and I hadn't made any changes to the Backup Exec installations. I need to be able to restore from any point that I've backed up - how do I get all of the backup jobs to show?
10 REPLIES 10

Steve_TYiybg
Level 4
You probaly have the catalogs truncating

Check tools-options-catalogs and check the setting.
You will have to re-catalog the tapes if your trying to restore past 30days right now.

Also you may have some media sets setup incorrectly and its overwriting media..thus overwriting tapes

Linwood_Wright
Level 4
Thanks for the tip. I just checked and I am not truncating catalogs.

I am using different tapes every week, so I don't think I'm overwriting anything.

Any other suggestions?

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Linwood!

Then check if your media management properties are set properly. Are the backupsets set to be overwritten every month?
Check the media set properties!

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Linwood_Wright
Level 4
I don't think that's the problem.

Media Set Properties:
General Tab
Overwrite Protection Period = None
Append Period = None > Infinite - Allow Append

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
So check if the proble is that the catalogs are not existing or if they are not used for another reason.
Check your catalogs directory for it's content. Are there many older files?

greetings
Peter

Linwood_Wright
Level 4
My catalog folder only has files dating back 1.5 months, so this is a good inidcation of why I can't see backups prior to that. However, I need to find out what happened to the catalogs prior to that date. Does Veritas do any sort of maintenance tasks that would remove them?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you have the global OPP set to "None", it is entirely possible that you have overwritten the older tapes. If that happens, BackupExec removes the associated catalog file.

I'd recommend setting it to "Partial", and watch for a while to see if the older catalogs stay in the directory.

Linwood_Wright
Level 4
ok - I figured out what OPP was - Overwrite Protection Period, however, I cannot change it in the properties of the media set, t

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you changed the Global Overwrite Protection to "Partial"?

Linwood_Wright
Level 4
No - it is set to none.

Thanks for everyone's help. I figured out that my problem is caused because someone deleted the catalogs. I'm not sure who or how, but I don't think Veritas did it.