cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Service Randomly Stopping

Jon_Dunsmore
Level 3
Ever since I took my BE 10.0 installation out of eval mode and input my serial numbers the Backup Exec Server service has been randomly shutting itself down at least once a day... I can see nothing in any system log files referencing the service shutting down.. Please help
17 REPLIES 17

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

When does the server service shut down? Is it during any backup job, or during a specific time of day? What is the start up type of the service? Make sure it is set to run automatically. Also check the service account ir runs under. All backup exec services should use the backup exec service account with admin rights except the remote agent service which should be running under the Local System account.

After the service shuts down, do you get any error when you try to start it manually? Look for errors in the alerts tab within backup exec. Alse check for any other backup exec related errors in the event logs.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Jon_Dunsmore
Level 3
It shuts down randomly - haven't been able to pin it down to running during a job or before or after..just whenever it wants. The startup type for the service is set to Automatically. The service account it's running under is the backup exec service account which has full rights to the server.

No, I'm able to restart the service without an error. I don't see any errors in Alerts except for failed jobs (due to the service not running)

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please specify the error message that you get when you start the service.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jon_Dunsmore
Level 3
As I stated in my previous post, I get NO error message when restarting the service. I also get no error messages as to why the service stopped.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please check the application event log, it will definitely have error or warning messages regarding the service shutting down. Also try to verify as per these events whether a backup or restore job was running at that time.
Also check if you have any alerts in the alerts tab.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Jon_Dunsmore
Level 3
I happened to be on the server when the service stopped this time - and I retrieved this error from the App event log..

"Faulting application beserver.exe, version 10.0.5520.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.1830, fault address 0x0002fc3e."

A backup WAS running at the time of this error. There were no alerts in the Alert tab except the one stating that I restarted the service.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Try repair the installation of Backup Exec from the technote mentioned below:

Repairing Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jon_Dunsmore
Level 3
Ok - I ran the repair installation. I then started a job and within 20 minutes the Backup Exec Server service shut itself down. The following error was in the Application event viewer log:

Faulting application beserver.exe, version 10.0.5520.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.1830, fault address 0x0001caaf.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Jon,

Thank you for the update.

I request you to perform repair database of Backup Exec using the technote mentioned below:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265180.htm

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jon_Dunsmore
Level 3
I ran the database repair per the instructions on that link. The first time I ran it said the repair failed. I ran it again and it said it was successful.

However, the service shut itself down again last night so this did not resolve issue.

Jon_Dunsmore
Level 3
I've since completely wiped the OS off my server, reloaded Windows 2000 Server, loaded all service packs.

I then installed Backup Exec 10.0 and the first time I booted after installing the Backup Exec server service crashed.

Jon_Dunsmore
Level 3
I completely uninstalled Backup Exec and installed version 9.1 and it's working great so far.

Then I tried to do a direct upgrade to 10.0, and within 10 minutes after installation was complete the Backup Exec Server service crashed again.

Please respond with some sort of troubleshooting step.

Alan_English
Level 3
I had a frustrating issue that caused the service to crash during backups. If you are password protecting the tapes, then v10 seems to puke during backups. I removed the passwords, and all is working just fine now.

Jon_Dunsmore
Level 3
Hello? Veritas Guys? You there???

I can't get Backup Exec 10.x to run at all on a fresh install of Windows 2000 Server... care to help me out here?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please install the latest revision of Backup Exec 10.0.

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 rev. 5520 for Windows Servers Installation Files
http://support.veritas.com/docs/277181

Install its Service Pack 1.

Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 for Windows Servers revision 5520 - Service Pack 1
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278701

Also install the latest drivers.

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0.5520 - Device Driver Installer (20050815) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20050115) and Robotic Library Release (47) (Intel Only)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278408

Reboot the server. Now try a backup and verify the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jon_Dunsmore
Level 3
This did nothing but waste another 2 hours of my time. I updated Backup Exec to the most recent version, loaded SP1, loaded the driver update. Within 1 hour the Backup Exec Server service crashed. The only message in the event logs related to this was :

"The Backup Exec Server service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action. "

The server works perfectly fine with Backup Exec 9.1.

Jon_Dunsmore
Level 3
Thanks for the quick response here guys. /sarcasm off

I've managed to determine there is some kind of conflict with Backup Exec version 10.0 and ANY SCSI HBA card that I install in this server. I removed the original HP ProLiant 64-Bit/66-Mhz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Controller that I had in the unit... and Backup Exec stopped failing.

So I decided to purchase a brand new SCSI HBA to see if it would work. I got an new card, slightly different model than above, with new driver, and Backup Exec proceeded to crash within an hour.

I've since completely removed Backup Exec 10 from my server, installed Backup Exec 9.1 with all patches, and it runs without error.

Please provide me with more troubleshooting steps for this issue. I have a valid Support Contract now with Veritas if that will help expedite this at all.