cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a GFS rotation schedule in BE 9.1

Alexander_de_Ro
Level 2
Hi all,

I want to setup a GFS schedule for one year and used the Wizard for that. What I got was a One time job a Diff job and a Full job. Now that's ok but how do I tell the jobs to use the correct tapes as stated in the help in the application? I want the application to use Mon 1 then Mon 2 for next week and so on. But I cannot get that working.
(I have a Dell Powervault 122 that can contain 8 tapes.)
Can someone tell me how to setup the jobs (even manually)?

Thanks in advance

Alexander de Rooij
5 REPLIES 5

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

The GFS rotation method is pretty easy to use, if you remember to label your tapes.

Also, since the daily tapes are used more frequently, than the weekly and monthly tapes, you will need to replace them more often.
For setting up the GFS rotation scheme you will require 3 media sets one each for daily,weekly and monthly and set the Overwrite and Append period accordingly.

For detailed information on this strategy, refer to the section "Grandfather Media Rotation Strategy" from the manual page number 222. You can download softcopy of the manual from the following technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266190.htm

Once a job is scheduled under Backup Exec, it will execute the jobs as per configured schedule etc. You need to ensure that overwritable and /or appendable media is available. For more info refer this technote:

Title: The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192265.htm

Run a test backup to check if job has been set up fine, before you implement the Media Rotation in a live setup.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Alexander_de_Ro
Level 2
Hi,

So does this mean that I have to set up 4 jobs if I want a 4 period GFS scheme?
And do I give each job it's own media set??

Thanks in advance

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

You can create different media sets for the daily, weekly and monthly jobs. You can thus use the allocated media sets for the reqiured jobs. What are you referring to in '4 period GFS scheme'?

In case the above does not answer your question, do elaborate.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Alexander_de_Ro
Level 2
Hi,

What I mean with 4 preriod GFS is that I have monday 1, monday 2, monday 3 and monday 4 and after that I use monday 1 again. (Same for the other weeekdays)

So I have to set up a media set for every daily job, every week job and for every montly job ???

Do you have an example of all the jobs and media sets and the media, that would be very helpfull.

Thanks a lot ....

Greetings Alexander de Rooij

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Alexander,
Yes, You will have to set up seperate jobs.
We also recommend you to use Partitioning of tapes...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
For example:
Suppose you have a 6 slot Library. You partition the library with say 2 slots for the Full backup job on Friday or Monday as per your need. And make 4 other partitions for the differential / incremental Job of each day, with one slot in each of these partition.
You will then need to then configure your jobs in such a way that the correct Job is guided to the correct partition.

NOTE : In such a configuration you will need to have 6*4 tapes for the 4 weeks.
NOTE: This is JUST an example. The jobs and the Partitions need to be configured as per your need.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can also go through the GFS section in our admin Guide:
VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266190.htm
===============================================
==============================================
Hope this helps you.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.