cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup Printer Alerts - No Printers Listed

MagnumVP
Level 3
Upgraded from 10d to 12 trial and after installing all Service Packs and fixes, my printers can not be setup as an Alert.  When I click on the Printer drop down list, the printer is not listed in the list. However the printer is installed and I print to it using other programs and test pages.

It was installed and working under 10d but when I click on the Properties of that printer it states, "Your Previously selected printer is no longer available" but the printer is not in the drop down box.

I have tried to install a new local printer, network printer, TCP/IP printer but it doesn't show.  Some printers do show in the drop but it seems to be random.

8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you logon to the media server as the BackupExec service account, can you see and select the printer as a Windows printer (not in the GUI)?

MagnumVP
Level 3
This is a single server setup.

I log into the Sever as the same user that the Services are running (also the Domain Admin).  The printers show up under Control Panel\Printers and I can print test pages from them.   Then I; 

1. Open Backup Exec 12
2. Click on Alerts
3. Configure Recipients
4. Click New
5. Printer
6. Name the Printer
7. Click the Drop down box and nothing is there.

MagnumVP
Level 3
Update:

I have tried this exact situation on a Windows 2000 Server SP4 with the same results.  The printers do not appear within Backup Exec.

The printers that I am attempting to setup are Dell 5100 and 5310.

When I install a HP Laserjet 4050 it shows up within Backup Exec fine.  But I can not get the Dell printers to appear. Just for fun I also setup a Apple Laserwriter 8500 as a printer and it too appeared within Backup Exec.

I even created a HP Laserjet 4050 on LPT1. It still shows in BE.Smiley Very Happy
Changed the 4050 to print to port IP_172.16.20.20 (Where the Dell is located)... It still shows in BE.Smiley Happy
Changed the driver to use the Dell 5100 PCL6... It does not show in BE. Smiley Mad

It has something to do with the Dell Printer Drivers.  Any ideas?

Message Edited by MagnumVP on 06-25-2008 08:25 AM

MagnumVP
Level 3
Here is a screenshot of what I am referring to.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Got me at this point

You may need to open an incident with Symantec Smiley Sad

MagnumVP
Level 3
While I was on hold with Symantec Support I figured something out (never got through after 30 minutes).  Well what do you expect when you don't have a support contract and are running an Eval.  Well it is more of a workaround.  I point to my Dell printer but tell it that it is a HP Laserjet 8150 PCL.  It prints a test page and the test within Backup Exec, I just don't get color.  That is fine since I only need it to print logs.

Well at least I got it to work, after all this work within the product, one concern I have is Tech Support.  If that is how they treat Evals or non-suppot contracts then I'm not too confortable with Backup exec if I have any major issues.

MagnumVP
Level 3
UPDATE:

For some reason the Dell PCL drivers do not work. However the PS works to show up in the alerts.

Now I have run into the problem that is shown in this KB article.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303725.htm

I can not believe that Symantec has known about this issue for 2 major releases and plans on doing nothing about it.

Anyone have a work around?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
It would require some scripting, but you could setup something to print all of tonights job logs after  the backups are due to end.

You can't do this as a POST job, I don't think, since the XML file will still be open, as the whole job hasn't finished yet