cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup a user with permission to only eject and import tapes

Dean_Estcourt
Level 2
Hi

I need to setup some way for a basic user account (local or domain) to eject the current tape out of the robotic library and import the just inserted tape. The user is not allowed to have permission to create/delete/edit backup jobs and is not allowed to be a local administrator.

There doesn't seem to be a way of restricting accounts to certain functions of Veritas 9.1 e.g. restore, or eject only, etc. Either you configure a user as restricted or common which has no bearing on what a user can carry out once inside Veritas.

I thought that I may be able to create a work around by creating a script that could do it with the "run as" command, but there doesn't seem to be a way to even script it an eject and import?

I would like to have confirmation whether this is or is not possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dean.
3 REPLIES 3

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
you are right, there is no such user account mangement in BE. Either you can access BE and you can doe everything - or nothing.

You can try to script this through the BE command line ( bemcmd.exe) - it works - but it is work.

See the documentation:

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/275538.pdf

good luck

regards
uz

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please update us whether the above mentioned solution has helped you resolve the issue.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Dean_Estcourt
Level 2
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your help guys. Looks like it is possible from the command line, but it may take a while to get a script going that does the job.

Maybe one do account permissions can be incorporated into Veritas?

Thanks again.