cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup incorrectly assigning MediaIDs at first but corrects when deleted & re-scanned.

ta-fs
Level 2

Netbackup v10.2.0.1 - We're importing & cataloging (P1/P2) 1000s of tapes and we've got a script that does inventory (vmupdate) when the tapes are loaded for multiple media agents. The MediaID generation rule are applied, for few random tapes it does not add the initials eg.: NS is not added for tape NS1234 but it is updated as 1234L6 (default inventory) which fails the import jobs as it cannot find the tape.

The same tapes [updated as 1234L6] when deleted from console and re-scanned manually from console gets the correct barcode NS1234. It is random & intermittent (but happens atleast once in 2 days) so I was hoping to get more details from Logs when it happens. 

It will be good to know which logs are required apart from bptm on media agents and if there are any other robot/inventory specific logs with higher debug ?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

ta-fs
Level 2

tafs_0-1715131694403.png

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have not use the command to inventory new media. But my thoughts are:

There is an unsupported option for the command vm "-use_first_6_barcode_chars" but as you manually change the first two characters of the barcode, I see no use of it.  In case the barcode is indeed starting with NS then you can use this option and solve your problem.

try to add the following line to the /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf (or the equivalent for windows) to all media servers and retry the command
MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS = 0 8 #N:#S:3:4:5:6
MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS = 5 8 #N:#S:3:4:5:6
MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS = 6 8 #N:#S:3:4:5:6

If this will not work, You have to do the first inventory manually using the GUI.

By the way, what is the real barcode of the tapes and why you are changing the first two characters?