cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SharePoint Backups Slow

rsgdmn
Level 2

I am backing up SharePoint 2010 with Backup Exec 2010 R2 using the SharePoint agent and the SQL agent all installed. The job rate I'm seeing starts at about 130 150MB/min and then drops off to under 100MB/min.

I ran a SQL backup on the same server as well as a back up of databases selected from the drive of the server rather than the SharePoint selection under Resources and I was getting over 1GB/min. But when I select it from under Resources again, it's slow again. I tried it with GRT enabled and disabled, no change.

I did select the 60 day evaluation for the SharePoint agent while I was running BE 2010 and then realized I needed 2010 R2 so I upgraded it. Is it possiblt that because it's an eval copy that I'm not getting the current agent? I do own the SQL agent. I want to purchase the SharePoint agent but don't want to do it until I can see it work. Any ideas? Thanks.

Oh, the server is 2008 R2 with SP1 and is current on updates and BE is also current on updates.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there would be no difference between the evaluation version and the full version. In the full version all you're doing is unlocking that agent permanently.

What is your current set up? Tape drive, server, network speed, are you backing this up via a remoe agent etc?

Have you tried backing up to disk to eliminate the tape drive?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there would be no difference between the evaluation version and the full version. In the full version all you're doing is unlocking that agent permanently.

What is your current set up? Tape drive, server, network speed, are you backing this up via a remoe agent etc?

Have you tried backing up to disk to eliminate the tape drive?

macpiano
Level 6

Have you tried daily tasking Sharepoints own backup stuff then just backing that up everynight. I use the "free" version and I just have the task on the Sharepoint server run the script to overwrite the file each night. Since it is a new file each differential backup backups the newly created backup.

Saves on a license and I have restore several times  using this.

rsgdmn
Level 2

I'm going to see if Symantec will give me support for the evaluation version. The tape drive, network speed, and remote agents are all fine. I can backup anything else without a problem. It's only when I make selections using the SharePoint agent that it slows down. Thanks for your response though.