cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint 3.0

Ed_Scherer
Level 3
Any release update for the agent for Sharepoint 3.0 services?
9 REPLIES 9

Joe_Hutchison
Level 4
It appears that support for Sharepoint 3.0 (WSS 3.0) is *not* included in release 7170.

Symantec - can you comment on the new proposed release date for this support?

Thanks - Joe

Casey_Sterling
Level 4
....when will wss 3.0 be supported? thanks

Ed_Scherer
Level 3
It is supported now.  Have been running it for about 2 months.

Casey_Sterling
Level 4
Thats great Ed! Was there anything special about your install? The error I keep seeing is :
"Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec"

am running 11d, fully patched. any chance this could be a perms problem on my end?

Casey_Sterling
Level 4
The only selectable item is "windows sharepoint services search/search instance/index files" every other item is unselectable (errors out)

Ed_Scherer
Level 3
I'm Version 7170 patched through Hotfix 14...not SP1. No problems with access once I put in License for agent...I don't remember having to give backup exec account sharepoint rights....

Message Edited by Ed Scherer on 09-18-2007 09:40 AM

Casey_Sterling
Level 4
Yep, 7170 as well with same hotfixes. upgraded to sp1 to try it, no luck. moss 2007, worked right out of the box...

makes me wonder a little more about perms though...will review

nschlip
Not applicable
Hi all, this is my first time posting here in the Symantec forums, so I will do my best.

I just recently went through the setup of SharePoint (wss 3.0) for backing up the database components, and thought I would share my experience.

First off, Backup Exec 11d, with the latest updates, will now support SharePoint 2007, wss 3.0, and wss 2.0 (pending you have the SharePoint agent added into backup exec - as well as the server agent installed on the actual SharePoint server). In my case, the database for SharePoint resides on an SQL box, running SQL 2000 with the latest service pack for SQL, therefore I needed to have the server agent installed on the SQL server as well. Turns out, the administrator account used on the SharePoint server (within SharePoint you can set the administrator of SharePoint) needs to have "Sys Admin" rights on the SQL server, where the database resides. Needless to say, our BSG group wasn't too happy about that, but none-the-less that is what needs to be done. Then within Backup Exec, I changed the "Resource Credentials" on the job set up to use that account (basically telling the agent which login credentials to use).

When setting up the job, I had to manually add the SharePoint server under "Microsoft SharePoint Server Farms" by right-clicking and selecting "Add Server Farm..." Once added, I checked the box so that it selected all resources to be backed up.

Once the job runs and completes, you will have the option under "Restore" to select individual files. If you want to re-direct a file(s) you must select "Microsoft SharePoint Redirection" and select "Redirect SharePoint documents sets" and you can then select where you want to direct the file(s). I tried using the basic "File Redirection" option, but after some testing that did not seem to work.

At any rate, I hope this helps anyone out there. I will subscribe to this post, so if anyone has any questions just let me know and I will try to help as best I can, thanks!

Nathan

jknowles
Not applicable
We've started receiving the following error when we run our SharePoint backups through Symantec.

All backups for the databases (site collections) work fine.

Microsoft SharePoint Resources:\Windows SharePoint Services Search\Search instance\Index files 1 (PHMOSSWEB1S/d0d65b7d-b956-450d-a40c-467b3dae5be3)\

But this file fails.

Has anyone seen similar errors in their backups?

Thanks.

Jim