cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint Transaction logs

Afonso_Martins
Level 4
Hello,

The sharepoint agent does not allow to perform backup of the transaction logs. Why can't we do a backup to the sharepoint transaction logs with Backup Exec?

I am not sure what would be the impact of set it to simple recovery model, is this a possible solution?

Or should i made a maintnance plan to backup the transaction log?

I will appreciate any help

thank you,

Message Edited by Afonso Martins on 03-26-200712:22 PM

Message Edited by Afonso Martins on 03-26-200712:25 PM

2 REPLIES 2

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Hello Alfonso,

Backup Execs Sharepoint Agent by design expects Sharepoints SQL instance to be set to simple recovery (its default). Due to SQL handling of transaction logs in full recovery  model, we do not support Sharepoint backing up the logs, as this can cause inconsistencies between Sharepoint and SQL in a recovery scenario.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, or if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,
Greg

Afonso_Martins
Level 4
Hello Greg,

Thank you for your reply.

Do you know if there will be any problem if i switch the recovery model to simple? Can i just change it? or it is necessary to make something before?

Is there any documentation or support knowledge note from symantec regarding this? Because what i know is "For business-critical deployments, administrators should use full recovery mode" this was exctracted from a microsoft article regarding the sharepoint

Thanks,