cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint backup agent - Including Sharepoint Servers

RobJC
Level 3
Hi there,

I'm unable to successfully add our sharepoint 2007 server into the backup selection list. Instead I recieve an access denied message. I have found a KB article on this at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294346.htm which states that this problem occurs if sharepoint and the SQL server are not on the same host. In our case (as in many others probably) we have separate application and database servers and therefore have this problem. The article recommends that as a workaround the backup utility in MOSS should be used. We purchased the Symantec Agent so we wouldn't  need to do this! is there a plan to fix this issue - either in 11d or 12 ??

11 REPLIES 11

RobJC
Level 3
Hello Symantec,

is there any news on this ??  as mentioned, we have separate MOSS and SQL servers and therefore cannot use the agent - will there be a fix for this????

.. if not I need to know so I can request a refund from our supplier

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
What version of BEWS are you using there? The access denied error when trying  to add a MOSS server to the server farm was fixed with a HF in 11D.
Are all your servers in the server farm on a 32 bit platform or you have them installed on 64?

RobJC
Level 3
Its 11d with SP2 & hotfixes 31,32,33,34,35. Servers are all 32bit. I've tried pushing out the backup agent again to both the SQL and Sharepoint servers but still have the same problem. What hotfix are you referring to?

RobJC
Level 3
Hello Symantec - is there any further news with this issue???

Gai
Level 2
Any update for this issues? i also have the same problem right now i'm comparing between microsoft system center data protection manager 2007 with symantec backup exec quite dissappoint with symantec now...

I use trial Backup Exec 12 with WSS 3.0 with SP1. I try on FE/BE on the same machine on FE/BE on difference also the same error message access denied and enable log to check what is the error and found some error about Cound not find EV registry key ...
process ready? process NOT ready?
GetTopology returned be0 from server xxxxxx, as user xxx\xxxxx
my closesocket called with sockfd
DSEnumertor failed with -536836984: Access is denied
But backup SQL Server and System is running fine.

Message Edited by Gai on 03-12-2008 10:39 PM

RobJC
Level 3
HELLO SUPPORT !   .... I am still waiting for a response to this, I've already explained the issue and patch level as requested by you. Can someone PLEASE offer some assistance, we've paid our support fees but are still not receving any support for this. We are still unable to use the product to backup our Sharepoint server.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you have a support contract, you should be calling Symantec to open a case.  Symantec presence here in/on the free forums(fora?  Smiley Tongue ) is spotty at best

merabx
Not applicable
Hi  got a similar issue when trying to backup Sharepoint Farm our web server and SQL server are on different machines as well. I can connect to the main servers but the SQL items come back with "Resource not found"
I have a support ticket open with Symantec will let you know what they come up with. Good Luck

Oomph
Not applicable
Hi all,

same problem here. i have a windows 2003 with MSS 3.0 and the SQL database on a diffrent server.
getting this errormessage:

Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.

on my testserver (windows2003, MSS 3.0 and SQL databse on the same machine) it is working without
problems.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Thanks.

RSOLY777
Level 3
You stated:

RahulM's picture

What version of BEWS are you using there? The access denied error when trying  to add a MOSS server to the server farm was fixed with a HF in 11D.
Are all your servers in the server farm on a 32 bit platform or you have them installed on 64?

But you fail to mention which Hotfix fixes this

I have BE 11d SP4 with HF 62, 63, 64 and 65
I still get the same error that is referenced in this post.

My BE Server is on a x32 platform and the Sharepoint server is on a x64 Hyper-V VM

RSOLY777
Level 3
I see this must be a dead thread as no one has posted any replies. I did however get my sharepoint to start backing up after a catastrophic crash of my sharepint I had to restore the VM hosting it to a previous check point and re-install the agent and it started working fine.