cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint backup is very slow

Nathan_Gau
Level 3
I have a Backup Exec 10d (latest service pack) backing up a SPS 2001 server. The job is pretty simple. It only backs up the Sharepoint installation and the 2 workspaces on the server. The sharepoint installation itself gets very good time (over 800 MB/min). However, the workspaces slow down to about 32 MB/min. This is not acceptable as the backup job ran for 10 hours last night until I manually cancelled it. Is there a simple solution to this (such as shutting down the services on the server temporarily during backup)? Or is this to be expected?
7 REPLIES 7

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

"The sharepoint installation itself gets very good time (over 800 MB/min)"

-Do you mean the Sharepoint databases are backed up at the above rate?

Are the workspaces active or "in use" during backups?

The size of the workspaces?

Are you backing up to tape or to a Backup to Disk folder?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Nathan_Gau
Level 3
bump

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Would you please give us an update about the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Nathan_Gau
Level 3
Sorry, for some reason your reply wasn't visible when I bumped this...

that being said. I have two workspaces. One is a test workspace with nothing in it. The other one contains about 20 GB of data.

What I mean by "the sharepoint installation gets very good time" is that BE gives me two options:
Sharepoint portal Server
Sharepoint portal Server Workspaces.

The first option gets the good time. While the second option gets the slow time. The backups are run to an MSL5026 library at night. The sharepoint server is up, but no one is using it.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly install the latest Veritas Drivers...

Kindly refer the following Document:

=>

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/231488.htm

Thank You..

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I've never used Sharpoint Portal Server, but stongly suspect that it is similar to Exchange Server in that you can either stream the whole server(mail store) or backup the individual workspaces(Mailboxes), and that when backing up the workspaces, each item in the workspace is backed up individually.

In the Exchange world, we've seen Stores level backup in the 400-500MB/Min range, with mailbox backups of the sme data in the 20-25 MB/Min range.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue.

Thanks,