cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Backup Routine for Backup Exec 10d

Phil_Booth
Level 3
I recently installed a Windows 2003 Server for a customer, the supplied Backup was Backup Exec 10d which I have never used as Backup software
I have managed to log on & run the Backup Wizard to do backups to date but this only seems to do the Individual Backup

What I want to achieve is a Scheduled Backup Monday to Friday at 9:00pm
where every week the Tape is Overwritten with the data current at the time
The customer has 5 Tapes to run Monday to Friday

I have attempted to read the Administrators Guide but I get confused by the Media Sets etc

Is there a straight forward sequence I can follow to configure the Backup I require

Thanks for all help
2 REPLIES 2

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Phil

In your situation I think the best you could do is not using media sets so the backup is done on the mounted tape (unless your customer has an autoloader). To do so, go to Tools -> Options -> Media Management, and set the Media overwrite protection level to None so that Backup Exec does not overwrite protect any tape. This could be dangerous: if your customer forgets to change the tape any day, that tape will be overwritten with that day's data.

Another option is using media sets. To do so, set the Media overwrite protection period to partial, and medify the defaukt media set with an Append period of 0 (none) and an Overwrite protection period of 6 days, it's what best suits in your situation.

Regards

Phil_Booth
Level 3
Ended up using the Backup Wizard & configured the Schedule through that