Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple DR solution for Hyper-V

Salcin74
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Hi

I've been playing around with different alternatives for creating a simple and cheap DR solution for one of our customers.

The environment where I am trying to accomplish this consists of a two host Hyper-V 2008 cluster and backup exec 2010 on a separate physical server with local storage for staging, a tape library and an iSCSI array in another building some distance away.
The area where this iSCSI is located has no means of supporting servers such as a second backup server and/or a Hyper-V so that's not a possibility.

What I'm trying to accomplish is getting the VHD's in a bootable state to the iSCSI disk so that its possible to just connect a Hyper-V host to said iSCSI, configure the VMs and get them up and running.
If possible having them fully configured and ready to be imported would be preferable but just the VHD would be enough,
When Hyper-V is backed up to a disk-folder with large enough "media" the VHD file itself will be intact and can be used to create a new virtual machine pointing to that VHD without the need for restore first.
My first thought was just running a post-command in backup exec and copy the VHD file but the problem is that I don't know in which "IMGxxxx" the current VHD backup will be located.
One alternative is running a duplication job but when I run the duplication it creates .bkf files instead of "clear-text" backups of the VHD.

Is it possible to pass arguments from backup exec to a post-command? Haven't been able to find any information how to do this so far at least so I guess it's not possible.
The customer is a charity organization and that's why we are trying to keep the costs as low as possible but still give them a quick DR strategy. They allready export duplicated media from the library off-site of course but getting hold of those in the event of a disaster can be quite a delay.

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome, there are perhaps better ways to get the result I'm after?

Thanks in advance
Niclas
1 REPLY 1

panyor
Level 3

What is the purpose of putting the Iscsi on the remote site?

> if users on the remote location doesn't need to access any files on the SAN storage, why not station the storage on the same location as the server and just send the tape on their side in weekly basis. maybe create a 4 sets and send 1 set of 7 tapes/week, this will save you cost in getting a HSIA or a Leased line.
if users need to access files on the SAN, then give them remote access such as VPN, Rdp or citrix...

cheers