cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple backup job

Keith_Wilson
Level 3
Hello Everyone

Having read all the articles and Help concerning Overwrite Protection and Append, and then discussed it with colleagues, none of can understand it! No wonder there is so much confusion on this forum. Therefore, I would like to ask the following question, as I'm sure one of you must understand it better than me!

What do I need to do to setup a backup job that Overwrites ANY tape I put into the drive, regardless of what's already on there or when it was used last?

Our current setup is;
Backup job runs Mon to Fri overnight.
Tape set is rotated every 5 weeks
Media Set 1 is set to Overwrite Protection Period = NONE
Append Period = 1 Hours
Drive is an HP Ultrium 1 using 100/200 HP tapes
Software is BE 9.1 SP4
In General Options | Media Management, OPP is set to NONE and Overwrite Options are set to Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media etc....

We are regularly getting a message asking for another tape (please insert overwritable media) in the morning, and as you well know, this then means the backup will have to be cancelled as it can't be run during the day. Sometimes most of the system has been backed up (we normally backup about 70GB a night), sometimes not. As I said earlier, all I want is for the software to overwrite whatever tape I put in the drive, NOT append to it (we don't want to save any information), and if I put in the wrong tape and it's overwriten, then that's my own stupid fault!
Can anyone help me out with this, as I am getting a bit fed up with it to say the least?!
Thanks in advance
Keef
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Couple of things here

One -
if you have written some data to the tape, and BackupExec then gives you this prompt, that means that you have filled the tape, and there is nothing you can do but insert a scratch tape and let the job continue

Two -
Try setting the media set OPP to 1 hour rather than NONE

Keith_Wilson
Level 3
Hi Ken

Many thanks for the reply. I take that if I do a Long Erase of each tape before using them again, BE will treat them as Scratch media?
Regards
Keith

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You could, but you can also just drag them to the scratch media from the Media Tab

Better yet, change the OPP of the media set so that the tapes are unprotected when they are due to be reused again.

Keith_Wilson
Level 3
Hi Ken

Many thanks for your help on this issue, I'll give it go.
Regards
Keith