cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skipped Files even with AOFO

tom_garrity
Level 3

We have way too many skipped files in our backups.  They include PST, CDX, DBF, XML, DOC and other file extensions (including WINSTEMP.MDB).  We purchased AOFO to overcome this problem, but the issue persists.  I would appreciate your ideas, if you have found a solution to this problem.  [Otherwise, our backups are successful, and restores are simple.  Thanks Veritas.]

As I have attempted to solve the issue, I have maintained documentation of our efforts.  The notes are copied below.  Perhaps you see where I am going wrong.  Thanks for your ideas!

This is a user document.  It was written to record what steps have been taken to resolve the issue of skipped files.  So far, this has not been successful. 

I think there are four steps in installing AOFO.

1. Install AOFO on all servers with skipped file issues (including the media server).

2. Configure Volumes in Windows Explorer on all servers using AOFO.

3. Configure Volume Shadow Copy Service on all servers using AOFO

4. Configure Backup Jobs on Veritas Media Server

1.  Install AOFO on Server

If the Remote Agent is currently installed, this should be uninstalled.  The install wizard will give you an opportunity to do so.

Copy the files from MEDIASERVERNAME\D$\Program Files\Symantec\BackUpExec\Agents\RAWS32 to a temporary subdirectory on the target computer.  Run Setup.cmd locally.   Install both the agent and AOFO simultaneously.  Include the IP of the media server when prompted.

2.  Configure Volumes in Windows Explorer

You can configure an entire volume (eg., C:) or a share, depending on where the open files are located.

First, select a drive or share > Properties > Shadow Copies.  Choose the Settings Button.

On the settings page, determine what volume will hold the Shadow Copy.  Then select the "Schedule" button.  You do not specify a subdir.

Schedule the copy at 3:00 PM, daily.

After you are finished and before exiting the “shadow copy” tab for the volume properties, click “create” once to make an initial copy.

3.  Configure Volume Shadow Copy Service

Set the Volume Shadow Copy service to automatic & start the service.

4.  Configure Backup Jobs

Jobs run against servers with the AOFO option should be configured as normal, but the following changes should be made to the jobs.

First, the Selection List user-credentials must be those of an Administrative user. 

Second, on the template (or job) configuration page, go to Settings > Open File Option.  Check “Use Advanced Open File Option.”  At the “Open File Configuration” section, we have tried all available options.

Next unselect all items in each selection list which describe files to be protected by AOFO.  Exit the list.  Reopen the list and add back the deselected items.

If jobs are created by a policy, delete all jobs created by the policy.  Recreate all jobs created by the policy.  [On the job setup tab, right click the policy and select the appropriate option.]

# # #       e n d       # # #

1 REPLY 1

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
You reference setup.cmd, but I have no such file.
If you run setupaa.cmd, you only install the Remote Agent. The AOFO agent needs to be installed separately with setupaofo.cmd.
Installing this way, and not with setup.exe, if the recommended method for installing. You will not be prompted for anything, including the media server IP.

Did you reboot the remote server after AOFO install? It is required.

Can you please post a log here. I'm interested in whether the situation is:

- AOFO loaded and for some reason, you still get skipped files

OR

- AOFO doesn't load for some reason

More than likely, there will be something in your backup log relating to AOFO not being able to create a cache for some reason. It may point to the driver not being loaded (back to an install error) or the infamous "unable to acquire minimum quiet time", which we can deal with once we narrow it down to this.

I would also highly recommend ticking the "process logical volumes for backup one at a time" box on the AOFO options page.
If not, then the backup job doesn't appear to be using it.