cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule Restore Jobs

Stelios
Level 3
hi all,

I'm facing a problem here and i would like to know if there is a solution for it.

I'm trying to restore backups on daily basis from a Server to another one on different sites. Both Servers are running BE 11d. The backup job is stored to B2D folders, is renamed, transferred over the web to the other server, placed on another B2D folder, from which the restore job runs every day. I'm keeping always the same file name for the bkf file (eg full.bkf). Every day this file gets overwritten from the new one with the same name.
Before the restore runs a schedule iventory & catalog procedure runs. Then when the restore procedure begins, it fails with (unable to attach resource), because in the selection list the previous backup set is shown. Is there a way to automatically pick up the latest backup set for restore no matter what? Or is there another way to achieve it?

Best regards

Stelios
6 REPLIES 6

Jared_S_
Level 6
Employee
Hi Stelios -

I am confused on the restore part when you mention you run the restore and the previous backup set is shown instead of the new backup set.

I am assuming the "new backup set" is the most recent moved data from the other server, while the old data is the moved data from the previous day - is this an accurate assumption from the information given?

- Jared

Stelios
Level 3
Every time a restore job runs, it picks up the list from the catalogued backup sets. Because the restore job is scheduled to run every day, i cannot select automatically the newest catalogued backup set.
So when the job starts, it fails. The bkf file remember every day is replaced from the new one.

Hope that this helps

Best Regards

Stelios

Jared_S_
Level 6
Employee
Stelios -

Thanks for the clarification, I believe I understand what you are trying to accomplish now. There is no automated feature in Backup Exec to tell the restore job to select the newest catalogs when the old restore selection still exists.

Your best bet would be to remove the B2D selection from restore before moving the .bkf from the other server.
I'll try my best to explain:

For Example
Server A is your server were the .bkf is created
Server B is your server were the .bkf is moved to and were your restore schedule is created

I would suggest - perform your normal backup routine on Server A
BEFORE moving the .bkf file from server A to server B do the following:
Go into Restore selections and click "View by Media"
Right click and click delete (This will remove the old catalog information)
NOW move your .bkf file from server A to Server B and then run your inventory then catalog.
Verify in your Restore job properties the selection is still preserved but it is new.
Run the restore to test

One question I must ask - why are you running your restores in this manner? Are you trying to reduce network load? Are these two servers on the same network?

- Jared

Stelios
Level 3
We have two sites Productive & disaster recovery site. So I need the contents to be synchronized every day.

The backup set contains an SQL Database & Files. So i came to this solution. The .bkf files are transferred every day through a custom Web Service and uploaded to the Disaster recovery site, through aDSL connection.
What you are proposing maybe works but i need, if is possible, a full automated solution. The .bkf transfer occurs at 4am so there is no one to perform your suggestion. If you have any other solution in mind (using other Backup Exec product), i'll be glad to hear about it.

Best Regards

Stelios

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Backup Exec is a "move your data to a tape" peice of software, whilst you may be able to kludge it, you may find other solutions more reliable.

For SQL, nothing can beat putting on a VPN to the remote site, and have your server perform log shipping.

You don't need to buy any software, it's properly supported by the vendor (Microsoft) and will do the job you need. Keep your Backup Exec, and just use it for the "I need to restore a file someone deleted" scenario.

For file shares, consider just creating them on a DFS share with a root at the remote site, again, a VPN would accomodate this.

Both these solutions are not only reliable, but SIMPLE, and I sure that, whilst you may get BE doing the task, the complexity will leavey you to come undone.

Stelios
Level 3
Unfortunately, we cannot establish VPN connectivity due to security restrictions on the Disaster Recovery site.

Only ports 80 & 443 are open and occupied by Web Servers.

So, as you can see i made my homework about it. If i had Vpn from the