cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Selection

Sharbel_Chehade
Level 3
I am curently running SBS 2003. I recently installed a NAS to the network and am trying to get BE 9.1 through user defined remote selection to back up the data. I encountered the following problem, when I select the destination to view the data I want to back up it takes an extreme amount of time to become available. I tried the following, on a workstation I shared a folder and again through user defined selection mapped a drive. It took at least 2 min to view the data. The server has two partioned drives, I then shared a folder on a partioned drive and mapped the selection and there was no problem. Through explorer with the exact mapping the data is viewed instantly with no delay. I have tried the following with no success, Disabled NAV services, Disabled Netbios over TCP/IP and increased paging size on the server to 3070MB. Can some one please help.
6 REPLIES 6

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
I have noticed the same thing, BE9.1 on W2003, with user defined shares. I don't think there is any solution other then to purchase a remote agent to backup the data on your NAS. (If 9.1 agents still can be purchased that is) Or grin and bare it when making the selections and hope you don't have to change them to often.

Regards
A van der Boom

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Is any operating system running on NAS ?

Have you created Backup-to-disk in BE with path of NAS ?

What is the exact version of BE ?

Known compatibility issues with Backup Exec for Windows Servers and NetApp Filer Systems
http://support.veritas.com/docs/270396

Network Attached Storage (NAS) appliance compatibility with Backup Exec 8.x , 9.x, and 10.x.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237737

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Sharbel_Chehade
Level 3
There is no operating system on the NAS, but Linux Firmware, I have spoken with the manufacturer and there is no way this can be altered to install software.

I have not created a B2D on the NAS becuase I want to back up the information on it. But I created a B2D on a seperate machine and it seemed to work fine, unless backing up from a remote location such as the NAS where after you cancel it, comes with the error failed to initialise remote agent.

Any suggestions.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Is the selection slow every time you select the NAS or does it happen only during the first time? Do verify that. It might take some time during the first attempt at selection. Check the CPU usage. Also check which process takes more time when the selection is slow?

Regarding the error ' failed to initialise remote agent', refer to the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/271106

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Sharbel_Chehade
Level 3
I can confirm that this problem is not related to the NAS. I have conducted a backup using remote selection on the backup server and the selection still takes an age. This happens as often as I select the user defined remote selection so it is not a once off. CPU usage during this period remains constant at 1 or 2%. through explorer the connection is instant. Any Ideas or Suggestions to the cause of the problem.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you getting any errors?

run the sgmon befiore running the backup .

How to create SGMON.LOG
<<>>

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.