cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow performance of BE2010

Mnietek
Level 3

I have few servers which I back up with BE2010. The problem is, the process is quite slow compared to the theoretical network bandwidth.
When I backup to a B2D device over a 1Gbps network link, the actual job rate is at most around 500MB/min, which is below maximum rate for 100Mbps link.
When I ran FTP session over the same link between the same servers, I reached a sustained rates of 40-50MBps, which fills the 1Gbps link to some 50%.
Unfortunately, I don't see anything in the clients' setup that can be tweaked.
I have a separated 1Gbps network segment for backups, so it's not affected by different traffic and at the time of testing, there were no other backup jobs running, so nothing was interfering. (I lately separated backup windows, so the backup jops would not overlap anyway).
Any ideas where can I look for reasons that the backups are much slower than they should be?
I performed the tests on W2k3 server and Linux client (debian, to be precise), but the performance limit is roughly the same regardless of whether I backup Linux box, w2k server or w2k3 server, so I suspect there is something wrong with the server but I have no idea what it is.
4 REPLIES 4

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hi,
B2D, those not means fast backups. It depends how fast the disk is.
If you are running b2d over lan, prehaps your problem is between server - lan - and disk device.
Check the NIC configuration, maybe you have to change the speed from auto to 1GB, maybe you have to upgrade your nic drives.
Where is your B2D?
Do you have last BE drives?
RSM is disabled?

Regards
JoaoMatos

Mnietek
Level 3
As I already wrote - FTP over the same network link onto the same disk device works about 10 times as fast.
(BTW, my B2D is on a FC array (the BE server is the only user of that array)).
And what should RSM have to do with it since my B2D directories are created on fixed disks (no, I'm not running B2D over LAN. I'm backing up over LAN, as the BE usually does)?

The situation looks like this:

[Linux server] <-----------1Gbps Ethernet------------>[BE server]<---FC---->[array]

And BE is way slower than FTP from the same place to the same pleace (otherwise the whole test would have no sense at all :->)

Regards

teiva-boy
Level 6
Backing up linux with BE has always been for me slow...  Backup a similarly configured server with windows running on it, I'd get a 3-5x speed increase...

Mnietek
Level 3

You're right. I reviewed my setup and found out that windows backup was done over 100Mbps link (both servers are connected to two networks and so far BE was choosing the slower one (I can't force it in policy because I have other servers which are only in the slower network also backed up with that policy)). So the Windows backup is now working indeed quite fast.
But the linux backup is still way slower than what I'd expect.