cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow restore operation

Sean_O_Sullivan
Level 3
I know this has been posted a few times but here we go anyway. I am using BE10d on a windows 2003 server (as my media server) with a SATA enclosure (as my media). In my test environment I have a number of servers connected to a 1GB switch on a different subnet. Each server has a dedicated 1GB NIC for this. When I am backing up these servers I am getting speeds of roughly 2,200 MB/Min. When I try to restore I am getting speeds of roughly 350 MB/Min. I tried both back to the server without redirecting and with redirecting and also back to the NAS. There is no difference in speed. Could someone please shed some light on this. Thanks in advance.
13 REPLIES 13

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Please note that restores are always slower than backups.

Is the restore throughput slower for all the jobs? What if you restore a small job?

Try a backup and restore with NTbackup and test the results.

Regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Sean_O_Sullivan
Level 3
Hi Swati,
I restored a small file and it restored in seconds but I cannot rely on that being a good test. I also ran NT backup. I backed up 730MB worth of files (no databases etc). The backup took 1 minute 13 seconds. I then restored to a different directory and it took 36 secoonds. I am going to run a veritas backup on the same folders and post the results. Thanks for the reply.

Sean_O_Sullivan
Level 3
Ok, I ran some tests between BE and NTBackup. These tests were ran multiple times. The backed up data was 1.4GB approx.

NTBackup
Backup Time: 3m 16s
Restore Time: 5m 55s

BackupExec
Backup Time: 41s
Restore Time: 6m 16s

Going by these results BE is not performing as well as NTBackup. Please bear in mind the ratio of backup time to restore time. Is there any performance tuning that can be done to increase the performance of the restores.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
A possible reason for this behavior could be that the "Enable Fast File Restore" key has been set to a value of "0." The path for this key is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Tape Format\Enable Fast File Restore

To resolve this problem, change the value of this key to a "1," and either reboot the backup server or stop and restart the Backup Exec services.

Please note that restores are typically slower than backups. If Backup Exec is restoring data to a RAID array, the performance may be slower due to the extra processing during write operations in some RAID configurations. If the restore is taking place over a network, ensure that the network controller throughput and duplex settings match those of the network switch.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From the devices tab, right click the tape drive\Properties

Verify that both SingleBlock options are NOT checked

Sean_O_Sulliv1
Level 3
Hi,

Many thanks for the update. I am not using a tape device though. I am using backup to disk. In my test environment I am running the restore to non RAID disks from the NAS device (where I haevBE installed and is my backup to disk media server). This is all over a GB network. Each server has a dedicated GB NIC set to 1000MB Full and the switch is a 3Com GB unmanaged switch.
Regards
Sean

Sean_O_Sulliv1
Level 3
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the update but please see my previous post.

Sean

Sean_O_Sulliv1
Level 3
Don't know what happened there. I had posted a reply to this and it has disappeared

Sean_O_Sulliv1
Level 3
Don't know what happened there. I had posted a reply to this and it has disappeared. Anyway, I am running the backup-to-disk. The BE backup is run to the NAS (backup-to-disk media). Each server to be backed up have dedicated GB NIC's connected to a dedicated unmanaged switch. All set to 1000MB full duplex. The fix above appears to be for Backup to Tape.

Regards
Sean

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Guess I missed that

Again from the devices tab, what are the properties of the B2D folder?

Sean_O_Sulliv1
Level 3
Hi Ken,

No worries. The config of the B2D folder is:

Max size for B2D files: 1GB
Max # backup sets: 100
Disk space reserve: 0GB
Auto Detect settings: On
Concurrent operations: 1

Everything was left as default and I have not installed any patches/updates. Thanks again.

Sean_O_Sulliv1
Level 3
Hi Ken,

Sorry about this but my replies keep disappearing so if this is showing up again its not my fault. This is the second time replying to you. Any all settings are set to the program defaults.

Sean

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Is the issue still persists?

Could you please update on the same?

Thanks.