cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapshot Problem

Paul_Vonic
Level 3
Hi, every night my backup seems to "hang" with a status of "Snapshot Processing" after it has finished backing up my Exchange 2003 data and the local server data (SQL 2000) databases.

As soon as it tries to backup the cluster it seems to hang. I recently installed IDR too. After the Exchange and SQL data has backed up I get the following popup :

"IDR Full Backup Success - Don't forget to run the IDR prep wizard to update your disaster recovery diskettes"

I click OK to these dialog boxes and that's it, nothing more! I have 150GB more to backup.

Any ideas for this frustrating problem?

Thanks,
Pauly.
4 REPLIES 4

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

We suggest you to divide the backup job into 3 different jobs.One for Exchange one for SQL and one for the Cluster.

Check whether you face any issues with these indivisual jobs.

-We assume that AOFO is installed on all the remote systems that you are backing up.

If you receive any specific errors then revert back with details.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived.

Paul_Vonic
Level 3
Hi Vidyaj and thanks for your reply. My topology is this :

Backup Exec 10 Server = Windows 2003 Standard Server utilizing AOFO and various other agents.

Exchange = Exchange 2003 Enterprise sitting on a Microsoft 2003 Cluter

File/Print = Windows 2003 Enterprise sitting on the same Microsoft 2003 Cluster

I was previously using a Grandfather/Father/Son template for my backup routine just with my Selection List.

I have created new Backup Jobs with a new Selection List so see how I go. Because I only backup once a day I can only really test it then so please be patient.

Thanks,
Pauly.

Ashwin_Apte
Level 4
Hi Pauly,

Are you using AOFO option in the job to backup Exchange and SQL, because when you have selected the AOFO option alongwith Exchange Database backup icons, Backup Exec will by default use VSS Snapshot Technology to backup Exchange.

Veritas recommends to use normal Exchange backup method instead of using AOFO + Exchange method.

Try performing an Exchange and SQL backup without selecting the AOFO option.

Also the IDR popup comes up after every backup resource set is backed up, even if there are other backup resources to be backed up.

- Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.