cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft/Write Errors even after new drive.

Troy_McMurray
Level 3
I think i have a software problem. I just replaced my PowerVault 110T LTO drive and went to run a backup and when it was finished i went to the Devices tab in Backup Exec and found my stand-alone drive and saw the backup there. I looked at the properties and for these errors:

Soft read errors: 899
Hard read errors: 4
Soft write errors: 366643

I've been using these tapes for about 2 months now. So what in the world is going on?
5 REPLIES 5

Troy_McMurray
Level 3
Is there anything i need to reset on Backup Exec? Or am I even looking at the right errors?

Troy_McMurray
Level 3
Ran the full backup (older tapes) last night. Completed successfully. I then clicked the "Media" tab on Backup Exec 9.1 and then saw Media Sets -> Weekly, found last nights backup and saw:

Soft read errors: 35
Hard read errors: 0
Soft write errors: 286895
Hard write errors: 2

i'm i reading this right? do i have this many errors?

Thomas_Bianco
Level 5
i'm assuming this is a continuation of http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=56213

the errors counters are per media, and persist for the entire life of the tape. if you replaced the drive, the counter wouldn't be reset, and you should look for change in the errors counter.

personally, i'd toss the tapes and buy new ones just to make certain i have clean tapes.

Troy_McMurray
Level 3
and where can i find the error counter?

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
You may clean the drive and tapes regularly to avoid these errors.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.