cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck in "Pre-processing" Virtual Machine server

rgreg
Level 3

hi all,

I have a bit of an issue with a specific backup job (vmdk files with GRT).

Media server details:

BE 2010 R3 SP1 all Hotfixes installed (windows server 2008 R2 physical)

Server with backup issues:

VMware Virtual Machine version 7: Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, SQL 2005

VM has the latest BE agent for Windows installed (with all Hotfixes)

All ESX hosts within cluster on VMware esx4.1.0 348481

Ramdonly, date wise, the job gets stuck in the "Pre-processing" status and does not move forward. Killing BE services sometimes to no avail then a media server reboot is needed.

From server event viewer I could not find any clues pointing to problems. The messages log file from the ESX host VM is currently running from shows that the Media server has not tried to authenticate to kick off the snapshot process (hence stuck on "Pre-processing" status). Whereas when the backup runs there is an entry for that (see below).

"Jan  5 08:02:07 ESX-HOST xinetd[2798]: START: vmware-authd pid=17261 from=X.X.X.X"

VMWARE settings have GRT enabled for SQL.

Unfortunatelly I forgot to re-enable debbuging mode on both servers, so no log to attach to this thread. I will re-enable those today.

Help/assistance is much appreciated.

*I will not have access to computers next week, hence no updates from me to the thread. However replies are appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

rgreg
Level 3

Thanks for the tech doc link...

Problem is that job does not get stuck on "Pre-processing" everyday, it is kind of random

I am running a backup-to-disk now and:

BE VSS Provider service is listed but not running

BeVssProvider is not showing

Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider is running

Snapshot successfully taken by BE and job running

VSS list providers ONLY showing

I have enabled debbuging on both servers.

I wonder whether I should run post-thaw-script.bat and reboot VM.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The BE Vss Provider will correctly be listed as a servcie but not running. (when a job is not running anyway) and will not show in VSSADMIN LIST PROVIDERS

For part of the time during a job, an extra service will appear in the services list called BeVSssProvider which will be running

You can make this process happen manually by running pre-freeze-script.bat (from C::\windows) If you run this batch file and then refresh the services list you will see the other entry listed as started. Likewise if you then run VSSADMIN LITS PROVIDERS it will then be listed there as well.

After checking this make sure you run post-thaw-script.bat to put it back to the no backup running state.

Suspect this info may not help with your query especially as you have indiatced it is intermitttent.

rgreg
Level 3

Colin, Thanks for your reply

The BE Vss Provider will correctly be listed as a servcie but not running. (when a job is not running anyway) and will not show in VSSADMIN LIST PROVIDERS

I had understood that and this was correct, ie, service not running as no job was running. However even now it is not running. only Micrsoft VSS running

For part of the time during a job, an extra service will appear in the services list called BeVSssProvider which will be running

As per my reply, this is not happening

Suspect this info may not help with your query especially as you have indiatced it is intermitttent

Would you have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?