cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion on backup strategy

Corbett_Merrill
Level 3
We currently run completes once a month and differentials (using the archive bit) every night. Normally the differentials target a media set of nine tapes. One night a week the differentials instead target a different media set and those tapes go offsite.

We would like to change to using incrementals instead of differentials every night. This should reduce the size of our nightly backups. I already understand the ramifications of moving from differentials to incrementals.

I cannot change the one night a week offsite backup to incremental because those tapes will only contain the previous days changes. This would not be good in a disaster recovery scenario. So I need to have a differential (changes since the last complete) run once a week.

Main Question: I cannot figure out how to run incrementals every night of the week (except for one) and a differential one night a week.
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
You'll need to have separate jobs for the incrementals and differentials first of all, but the tricky part will be the archive bit.

You'll need to ensure that the incremental jobs don't use the same method as the differentials, so for instance in this case you'd probably want to set the incrementals to run using the modified date, so they don't then reset the archive bit, and result in your differential only backing up the changes since the last incremental.

Corbett_Merrill
Level 3
The problem I run into is my complete job must either reset the A bit or log the modified time. I need the A bit for incrementals and the modified time for the differentials.

After posting I continued thinking about it more and this is what I came up with. I think it will work.

Complete Offsite - once a month - logging the modified time and not resetting the A bit
Differential Offsite - once a week - using the modified time
Incrementals Onsite - all other days - using the modified time

I'm so used to using the A bit that it's going to take a while for me to trust the modified time that BE is logging in its database. I guess this will bloat the BE database.

What are you recommendations regarding using the Windows Change Journal?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

What is the Use Windows Change Journal option in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/271316

Thank You,

Shweta