cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey about compression....

Jimmy_Sands
Level 3
Curious to other users out there what they are getting with compression for remotely backing up servers.

I can never get anything greater than 1.05:1 .... seems like it should be better. I have referenced the online KB.

Its not like there should be a great amount of degradation...I am only going from one server through a switch to another server (located on the same switch and same subnet). I backed up about 90 GB of data.
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Whether the data is local or remote has nothing to do with compression (at least it shouldn't) Data type and content is the determining factor See http://support.veritas.com/docs/199542

When v10 first came out there were a LOT of complaints about low compression. Are you current on firmware for the tape drive? Are you using veritas drivers or manufacturer drivers? Have you tried switching?

Do you get the same low compression on ALL you remote servers? What about when backing up the media server itself?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta

Jimmy_Sands
Level 3
What would you say about this statement from a previous post regardihng compression? "A common problem that I have found in my experience is that network throughput is a factor. If you are backing up remote targets and the data cannot be supplied to the media server fast enough, the compression ratio suffers due to the stops and starts of the tape. " To me that does make sense which is contraditory to your statement that it doesnt matter if its local or remote....just curious on your input on this.

Tape is using current hardware and firmware. How do I check if I am using your driver or the drives manf?

As far as your third question..."Do you get the same low compression on ALL you remote servers? What about when backing up the media server itself? "

This is our first trial run with the product and before I put in heavily into production I am only trying one server. This weekend I plan on doing 4-5 more. I am going over there right now to try to back up the server itself. Will post those compression results in a few hours.

Jimmy_Sands
Level 3
On a dedicated backup server I backed up 4.92 GB of data with a compression ratio of

0.644:1

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
I agree with Ken, network throughput has nothing to do with compression ratio. As far as I'm aware the backup tapes will write the data as quickly as they are provided the data from the backup software (assuming the tapes are faster), and the backup software will only provide that data as quickly as it can once it has performed any required compression.

In fact in a relevent but not entirely connected test, I had a system a while ago with an LTO1 library backing up over a 100Mb connection, when I upgraded the network to a 1Gb network, I saw a 3 fold increase in backup speed (so obviously the network was previously the bottle neck) but I didn't see any change in compression ratio between the two networks backing up the same data.

In addition to any driver or patch issues that Ken mentioned which would effect the overall level of compression, the real issue is the type of data that you are compressing with your job. For instance you say that you did a local backup of just over 4 gig on the local backup server, which had a very low compression ratio. Was that backing up a load of data you had copied to the server, or backing up the server itself? If it was the latter than remember that most of the files within the Windows installation, and the Backup Exec installation will likely be binary files in the first place, and therefore unlikely to be capable of compression. In fact if you try to compress a file which is already as compressed as it will go you are likely to see an increase rather than decrease in the file size, due to the overhead of the compression information added to the file, which would fit in with the results you are seeing.

In answer to your original question though, personally I generally see a compression ratio on my backups of between 1.1:1 to 1.2:1, depending on the type of server and content stored on it (eg the web server and file server generally do a lot better than the Exchange server.

Jimmy_Sands
Level 3
Ken,

Your explanation could not have made more sense, thanks a bunch.

Tim_Sagstetter
Level 3
We are also evaluating this product, but we have not been able to get any job to complete, so I cannot offer what Backup Exec might do for us in this regard. However, we have used TapeWare and Retrospect to backup about 450 GB Those two products yielded a compression ratio of about 1.05 to 1 on our backup set. I do not expect any better with this product. Our backup set includes a mix of system files, Exchange database, SQL Server databases, Office documents, SolidWorks drawings, and Photoshop/Illustrator files.