cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 10d Help

Joao_Pedro_Mend
Not applicable

Hello there, I need some help to understand two things.

In my company we are using a HP Storage works Ultrium 448 deck tape with tapes HP  LTO2 Ultrium 400 GB.

I went to the configurations of the Symantec and in the media tab, all the tapes setup in there have a total space of 196 GB, and we have 220 GB of space to backup. I tried to change the size of the tapes, but I dind't get where I can do that. Can you guys help me?

Another thing is, every time that i tried to do a back up we receive this message "the job failed with the following error: backup of the item is bad", what could cause this error?

Best regards,

Joao Pedro Mendes

4 REPLIES 4

tech29
Level 6

Hi,

Please elaborate more on  "I tried to change the size of the tapes, ".

Also regarding the error you are receiving, try the steps given in the following technote:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5633

Regards,

tech29

quicker
Level 3

LTO2 tape Size: Normal 200GB/ Compressed 400GB.

BE will automatically finds the capacity of tapes. Manually setting the size is not possible.

Coming to your error the following may help.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5633

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The lto2 tapes are 200 native and 400 gb compressed and will always show 196 to 198 in the media tap as per my experience though you should be able to backup 220 gb of data on these tapes because they should provide you some kind of compression depending upon your backup. So do run some kind of backups and then can find out what kind of compression ratios it shows up.

Backup of item is bad while backing up can come if you are not using aofo and there might be lot of open files. Please give us some more information about the error message

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no guarantee that he will be able to backup 200GB of data onto one tape.  It all depends on his data.