cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 2010 & HP Ultrium 4 SAS

sun_luchik
Level 2
Hi,
I have recently installed BE 2010 (Trial) on MS Server 2003 64 bit for testing, it can see the tape device fine but cannot see any tapes I insert into it.
I have installed the BE 2010 drivers for the tape device and disabled Removable Storage in the services but still no joy.

Error in adamm.log

[3828] 04/21/10 18:38:23.968 PvlDrive::OpenHandle() from device number
       Drive = 1004 "HP 1"
       DeviceName = \\.\Tape0
       PrimaryName = \\.\Tape0
       SecondaryName = \\?\scsi#sequential&ven_hp&prod_ultrium_4-scsi&rev_u52d#7&3b5d3950&0&000400#{53f5630b-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
       ERROR = 0x00000006 (ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sun_luchik
Level 2
I think the driver is not working correctly in the Russian version. After I installed the English version of Symantec Backup Exec 2010 it work.

Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Try uninstalling the device completely from Windows, and then run a backup/inventory again.

1. In Backup Exec, go to Devices and remove your device.
2. Go to Device Manager, and uninstall the drive and robotics (if you have!) there.
3. Shut down the backup device, and unplug from the server.
4. Restart the server, and allow to boot up into Windows. Check that the device doesn't show up in Device Manager and then shut down the server again.
5. Start up the backup device, and allow to initialise.
6. Start up the server, go into Backup Exec --> Devices, and then check that it shows up.
7 . Then run the Device Configuration Wizard again and see if you get the same error.

Laters!

sun_luchik
Level 2
6. Start up the server, go into Backup Exec --> Devices, and then check that it shows up.

In the Backup Exec --> Devices there is no device.  After I installed the driver and restarted Backup Exec services, the device appeared and the same error. :(

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Did you use the HP LTT software to test whether there are any problems with the tape drive?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Mmm...run through the Device Configuration Wizard and check that the drive is showing up correctly there. Is this an autoloader/tape library perhaps?

sun_luchik
Level 2
I think the driver is not working correctly in the Russian version. After I installed the English version of Symantec Backup Exec 2010 it work.

Thank you for your help.